Understanding 1PI Vertex and Self-Energy Conventions in Quantum Field Theory

• Thread starter geoduck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vertex
In summary, there are different conventions for defining the 1PI vertex and self-energy in quantum field theory. Some use a prefactor of "i" while others do not. There is also disagreement on the sign of the self-energy, with some defining it with the opposite sign of the mass and others with the same sign. This can lead to confusion and discrepancies when comparing calculations done in different conventions.
geoduck
I assume that if your theory has an interaction term written as LI= ±λ*fields, where λ is the coupling, that the 1PI vertex is defined as:

$$i(\pm \Gamma)=i(\pm \lambda)+loops$$

That way to tree level, Γ is λ, and not -λ. The exception seems to be the self-energy. A mass term has -m2*field2, so this suggests that you should write -i Π whenever you insert a self energy. However, it seems textbooks write +iΠ for self-energy insertions. This leads to propagators that look like:

$$\frac{i}{p^2-m^2+\Pi(p^2)}$$

where Π has the opposite sign of m2.

Is it conventional to define the self-energy with +i instead of -i, so that in the propagator it has the opposite sign of the mass? Why is this so?

Also, is the self-energy even a 1PI vertex? Don't you have to include the tree-level term? So really:

$$i\Gamma^{(2)}=-i(p^2-m^2+\Pi(p^2) )$$

Or should it be defined:

$$-i\Gamma^{(2)}=-i(p^2-m^2+\Pi(p^2) )$$

It's not clear how to logically define the sign of Γ(2). Should it be the same sign as m2, or Π(p2)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, usually you identify [itex]-\mathrm{i} \Pi[/itex] for a truncated 1PI self-energy diagram, then you get
[itex]\mathrm{i} G(p)=\frac{\mathrm{i}}{p^2-m^2-\Pi}.[/itex]
The real part of the self-energy is then a correction to [itex]m^2[/itex] as it should be. Note that I use the west-coast convenction of the metric, [itex]\eta_{\mu \nu}=\mathrm{diag}(1,-1,-1,-1)[/itex].

It's different for massive vector bosons. There you have
[tex]\mathcal{L}_{\text{free}}=-\frac{1}{4} F_{\mu \nu} F^{\mu \nu} +\frac{1}{2} m^2 A_{\mu} A^{\mu}.[/tex]
This change in sign of the mass term is due to the west-coast convention of the metric, which is "mostly negative". Then the self-energy (or polarization) tensor as represented by a corresponding truncated 1PI Feynman diagram is [itex]+\mathrm{i} \Pi^{\mu \nu}[/itex], so that you get again a contribution to the mass with the correct sign.

Of course, there are as many conventions as textbooks, and it's a pain in the a... to sort these signs out when comparing a calculation in one convention with one done in another :-(.

In mark sredinicki's textbook, he has the self energy opposite the sign of the mass in the propagator. He uses the east coast metric however. But I don't see why using the east coast metric (-+++) should lead you to want to define the self energy as having opposite sign to the mass.

I checked cheng and li's book, and they use West coast metric, and they have self energy same sign as mass, but they don't define interaction 1pI's with a prefactor of 'i' at all, so they have $$ \Gamma^4=-i lambda+loops $$.

As I said, there are as many conventions as books.

What is a 1PI vertex?

A 1PI (one-particle irreducible) vertex is a term used in quantum field theory to describe a specific type of interaction between particles. It represents the amplitude for a single particle to interact with multiple other particles in a given process.

Why is it important to use 1PI vertex conventions?

1PI vertex conventions are important because they allow for a consistent and unambiguous way of calculating and interpreting particle interactions in quantum field theory. They help to simplify and organize the complex mathematical calculations involved in these interactions.

How are 1PI vertex conventions related to Feynman diagrams?

Feynman diagrams are graphical representations of particle interactions in quantum field theory. 1PI vertex conventions determine the rules for constructing these diagrams, including the placement and orientation of lines and vertices, to accurately represent the corresponding mathematical calculations.

What do the different elements of a 1PI vertex represent?

A 1PI vertex typically consists of three lines representing incoming particles, and three lines representing outgoing particles. The vertex itself represents the interaction between these particles, and the direction of the lines indicates the direction of time in the process.

How do 1PI vertex conventions differ from other types of vertex conventions?

1PI vertex conventions differ from other types of vertex conventions, such as the 2PI (two-particle irreducible) vertex, in that they only consider interactions involving a single particle. This simplifies the calculations and allows for a more intuitive understanding of the physical processes involved.