Understanding a Time Integral for x1 and x2

• I
  • Thread starter MikeSv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, solving for x in terms of y using an integrand in the form y = k_1 t^2 + k_2 yields the solutions x(t) = k_1 t and x(t) = k_2 t.
MikeSv
Hello everyone.

Iam trying to get my head around a solution for an integral but I can't figure out how its done.

I have given the following :

x1'(t) = 0
x2'(t) =tx1(t)

Where " ' " indicates the derivative.

Talking the time integral the result is given by:

x1(t) = x1(t0)
x2(t) = x2(t0) + 1/2(t^2-t0^2)x1(t0)

It would be great if anyone could help me out or give me a hint.

Cheers,

Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
MikeSv said:
Hello everyone.

Iam trying to get my head around a solution for an integral but I can't figure out how its done.

I have given the following :

x1'(t) = 0
x2'(t) =tx1(t)

Where " ' " indicates the derivative.

Talking the time integral the result is given by:

x1(t) = x1(t0)
x2(t) = x2(t0) + 1/2(t^2-t0^2)x1(t0)

It would be great if anyone could help me out or give me a hint.

Cheers,

Mike
Your solution looks fine to me, although it's more complicated than it needs to be with all the subscripts.
For simplicity in writing, I'm going to rephrase your problem:

x' = 0
y' = tx

Here, both x and y are functions of t.

Since x' = 0, then ##x = k_1##, for some constant ##k_1##. After substitution into the second equation, you get
##y = \frac 1 2 k_1t^2 + k_2##
It's always a good idea to verify that your solution actually works, by substituting back into the original system of equations.

Since there are no initial conditions given (or at least shown here), we're done.

Note that this is a very simple system of differential equations, one that can be "uncoupled" by substitution. More complicated systems, in which each derivative is in terms of the other function, require much more complicated techniques.

Hi and thanks for the replyI guess I just got confused by the subsribts.
And if I see correctly the integral is evaluated from t0 to t.

Cheers,

Mike

MikeSv said:
I guess I just got confused by the subsribts.
And if I see correctly the integral is evaluated from t0 to t.
No need to use definite integrals.
##x'(t) = 0 \Rightarrow x(t) = \int 0 dt = k_1##
##y'(t) = t k_1 \Rightarrow y(t) = k_1 \int t~ dt = \frac 1 2 k_1 t^2 + k_2##

Of course, since the problem is in terms of x1 and x2, the solutions should be as well.

Thank you so much for clarifying!
This helped a lot,!

Cheers,

Mike

Related to Understanding a Time Integral for x1 and x2

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. How do I know if there is a problem with an integral?

If an integral cannot be solved using known integration techniques, or if there are discontinuities or singularities in the function being integrated, there may be a problem with the integral.

3. What are some common problems with integrals?

Common problems with integrals include improper integrals, where the limits of integration are infinite or the function being integrated is undefined at certain points, and integrals with complex or trigonometric functions.

4. How can I solve a problematic integral?

If a problem with an integral arises, it may require the use of advanced integration techniques or numerical methods to approximate the solution. It may also be helpful to break the integral into smaller parts or use substitution to simplify the integrand.

5. Why are integrals important in science?

Integrals are essential in science because they allow us to calculate important quantities such as area, volume, and average values of functions. They are used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and economics, to model and solve real-world problems.