Understanding Abstract Algebra: A Geometric Approach

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the Principle of Mathematical Induction and defines the sets S and S' in relation to this principle. The symbols used in the conversation are explained, and the interpretation of the sets is clarified.
Bill Foster
I'm taking a class in abstract algebra this summer, so I thought I'd get ahead by reading the book before class starts.

This is from a book called "Abstract Algebra: A Geometric Approach", chapter 1:

Applying the Principle of Mathematical Induction with a slight modification.
If [tex]S' \subset \{n \in N:n\geq n_0\}[/tex] has these properties:
(1) [tex]n_0 \in S'[/tex]
(2) If [tex]k \in S'[/tex] then [tex]k+1 \in S'[/tex]
then [tex]S'=\{n \in N:n\geq n_0\}[/tex]
If we define [tex]S=\{m \in N:m+(n_0-1) \in S'\}[/tex], we see that [tex]1 \in S[/tex] and [tex]k \in S[/tex], which leads to [tex]k+1 \in S[/tex] , and so [tex]S=N[/tex].
Thus, [tex]S'=\{n \in N: n=n_0+(m-1)[/tex] for some [tex]m \in N\}=\{n \in N:n \geq n_0\}[/tex]

I'm not sure how to interpret all that. I know the sideways U means "subset", and the sideways U with a line means "is an element of". But does something like this [tex]\{n \in N:n\geq n_0\}[/tex] mean n is an element of N only when [tex]n \geq n_0[/tex]?

What about this: [tex]S=\{m \in N:m+(n_0-1) \in S'\}[/tex]?

How do you interpret that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bill Foster said:
… I know the sideways U means "subset", and the sideways U with a line means "is an element of". But does something like this [tex]\{n \in N:n\geq n_0\}[/tex] mean n is an element of N only when [tex]n \geq n_0[/tex]?

What about this: [tex]S=\{m \in N:m+(n_0-1) \in S'\}[/tex]?

How do you interpret that?

Hi Bill! :smile:

The : means "such that" …

so that means "S is the set of all elements m of N such that m + n0 - 1 is an element of S´" :wink:

Related to Understanding Abstract Algebra: A Geometric Approach

1) What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of algebraic structures and their properties. It focuses on the abstract concepts of operations, sets, and functions, rather than specific numbers or objects.

2) What is the geometric approach in abstract algebra?

The geometric approach in abstract algebra involves using geometric objects, such as points, lines, and planes, to represent algebraic concepts. It helps to visualize and understand abstract algebraic structures and their properties.

3) Why is abstract algebra important in science?

Abstract algebra is important in science because it provides a framework for understanding and analyzing complex systems and relationships. It is used in various branches of science, including physics, computer science, and engineering, to model and solve real-world problems.

4) What are some common algebraic structures studied in abstract algebra?

Some common algebraic structures studied in abstract algebra include groups, rings, and fields. These structures have operations, such as addition and multiplication, that satisfy certain properties and can be used to represent mathematical concepts.

5) How can understanding abstract algebra benefit my research or career?

Understanding abstract algebra can benefit your research or career by providing a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications. It can also improve problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities, which are essential in many scientific fields.