Understanding Binomial Theorem: How to Expand (a+b)^n

In summary, the binomial theorem is used to solve problems involving combinations and permutations. It is written as (a+b)^n and can be expanded using the Taylor function. The pattern of the coefficents in parentheses match up to the original indices.
roger
Binomial Theorem...

Hi

I need to know about binomial theorem...

eg. how to in general expand (a+b)^n

I don't understand the combinations / permutations...?

thanks

Roger

Physics news on Phys.org
And this thread.

Another expansion can be obtained using the Taylor Function.

[tex]f_n(x)=f(0)+f'(0)x+\frac{f''(0)x^2}{2!}+\frac{f^(3)(0)x^3}{3!}+...+\frac{f^(n)(0)x^n}{n!}+...[/tex]

So in your case,

[tex]f(x) = (a+b)^x[/tex]

P.S. If I remember correctly, this only applies for real numbers.

what i don't understand is the combinations and permutations...
when used in binomial theorem ?

what does it mean n choose x ?

roger

the thing I am used to is

[tex] ^n C _r [/tex]

i just use the one in my calculator, yours should have too. in fact, my teacher taught us the binomial theorem before permuations and combinations !

Lets just expand some simple brackets first:
[tex](a+b)^0 = 1[/tex]
[tex](a+b)^1 = a+b[/tex]
[tex](a+b)^2 = (a+b)(a+b) = a^2+ab+ba+b^2 = a^2+2ab+b^2[/tex]
[tex](a+b)^3 = (a+b)(a+b)(a+b) = (a+b)(a^2+2ab+b^2) =

a^3+2a^2b+ab^2+a^2b+2ab^2+b^3 = a^3+3a^2b+3ab^2+b^3[/tex]
As you can see I have expanded the brackets the normal (well normal to me) way to do so. The problem that the binomial solves is when you have [tex](a+b)^1^5[/tex]or something in that nature.

Also it is possible to see that there is a pattern to the coefficents (the numbers before the [tex]ab[/tex] or the [tex]ab^2[/tex]). The pattern, if wirtten out, is a pascal triangle. The top row has a single 1 then row two as two 1's (either side of the original one) and so on. This like will show you what I mean and then look back at the brackets above. The coefficents match (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PascalsTriangle.html).

Lets take the [tex](a+b)^2[/tex] and work it out using the binomial theorem.
The first part is [tex]a^2[/tex]. We know this without any working out that occurs on paper but using the binomial it would be:
[tex](a)^2[/tex] which gives [tex]a^2[/tex].
The [tex]2ab[/tex] part is denoted by [tex]2(a^1b^1)[/tex] which gives [tex]2ab[/tex].
The last part of this is similar to the first but using b instead of a.

The pattern is: [tex](a+b)^2 = ^2 C _0(a^2(b)^0) + ^2 C _1(a^1(b)^1) + ^2 C _2(a^0(b)^2) = 1(a^2(1)) + 2(a(b)) + 1(1(b^2)) = a^2+2ab+b^2[/tex]
As you can see, the indices add up to the original indice.

A harder one just to show what the binomial does:
[tex](a+b)^6 = ^6 C _0(a^6(b)^0) + ^6 C _1(a^5(b)^1) + ^6 C _2(a^4(b)^2) + ^6 C _3(a^3(b)^3) + ^6 C _4(a^2(b)^4) + ^6 C _5(a^1(b)^5) + ^6 C _6(a^0(b)^6)[/tex]
[tex]= 1(a^6(1)) + 6(a^5(b)) + 15(a^4(b)^2) + 20(a^3(b)^3) + 15(a^2(b)^4) + 6(a^1(b)^5) + 1(a^0(b)^6)[/tex]
[tex]= a^6 + 6a^5b + 15a^4b^2 + 20a^3b^3 + 15a^2b^4 + 6ab^5 + b^6[/tex]

To finish the reason that I put the [tex]b[/tex] term in brackets without the indice is because if you get [tex](a-b)^n[/tex] then the part of the equation could be negative (e.g. [tex]20(a^3(-b)^3) = -20a^3b^3[/tex]).

I hope this helps.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Binomial Theorem: How to Expand (a+b)^n

1. What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a mathematical concept that allows us to expand a binomial expression (an expression with two terms) raised to a certain power. It helps us find the coefficients of each term in the expansion.

2. How do you expand (a+b)^n using the binomial theorem?

To expand (a+b)^n, we use the formula (a+b)^n = Σr=0n nCr * an-r * br, where nCr represents the combination of n things taken r at a time. We start with the first term (a^n), then find the coefficients and powers of a and b for each subsequent term until we reach the last term (b^n).

3. What is the purpose of the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is used to simplify and solve complex mathematical problems involving binomial expressions. It allows us to find the coefficients of each term in the expansion, making it easier to work with and manipulate these expressions.

4. Can the binomial theorem be used for expressions with more than two terms?

No, the binomial theorem is specifically used for binomial expressions (expressions with two terms). However, there are other theorems, such as the multinomial theorem, that can be used for expressions with more than two terms.

5. What are some practical applications of the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem has many practical applications in fields such as statistics, finance, and physics. It is used to calculate probabilities, binomial distributions, and compound interest. It also helps in solving problems involving combinations and permutations.