Understanding Boolean Algebra: Homework Help and Examples

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem, but did not provide a clear justification for the third step.
Master0fN0thing

Homework Statement

Am I doing this right? The question is...
(ab) + (a' + b') = 1

Homework Equations

(a) Commutative a · b = b · a a + b = b + a
(b) Associative (a · b) · c = a · (b · c) (a + b) + c = a + (b + c)
(c) Distributive a · (b + c) = (a · b) + (a · c) a + (b · c) = (a + b) · (a + c)
(d) Identity a · 1 = a a + 0 = 0
(e) Negation a + a' = 1 a · a' = 0
(f) Double negative (a')' = a
(g) Idempotent a · a = a a + a = a
(h) DeMorgan’s laws (a · b)' = a' + b' (a + b)' = a' · b'
(i) Universal bound a + 1 = a a · 0 = 0
(j) Absorption a · (a + b) = a a + (a · b) = a
(k) Complement of 1 and 0 1' = 0 0' = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

My Steps...
(ab) + (a' + b') = (ab + a') + b' [Associative]
= (a' + ab) + b' [Commutative]
= (a' + a)(a' + b) + b' [Distributive]
= 1(a' + b) + b' [Negation]
= (a' + b) + b' [Identity]
= a' + (b + b') [Associative]
= a' + 1 [Negation]
= 1 [Absorbtion]

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you justifying the third step? It doesn't look like a straightforward application of the Distributive law to me.

andrewkirk said:
How are you justifying the third step? It doesn't look like a straightforward application of the Distributive law to me.
I'm sorry. I probably should of spaced the relevant equations better. According to the properties in my textbook, one way the distributive property can be written as is...
a + (bc) = (a+b)(a +c)
so I'm treating a as my 1st part and bc as my 2nd part.
Now to my work... in the previous step, I have (a' + ab) + b' and I think I can use the distributive property stated to say
(a' + ab) + b' = (a' + a)(a' + b) + b'
if I consider a' as my first part and ab as my 2nd part. I hope that makes sense...

Ok, cool. Thanks! :smile:

1. What is Boolean Algebra?

Boolean Algebra is a mathematical system developed by George Boole in the mid-1800s to represent logical statements and operations. It is used to analyze and simplify digital circuits and logical expressions.

2. How do I check my Boolean Algebra?

To check your Boolean Algebra, you can use truth tables to verify the logical equivalence of two expressions or use laws and rules to manipulate and simplify expressions. You can also use Boolean algebra software or apps to check your work.

3. What are the basic Boolean operations?

The basic Boolean operations are AND, OR, and NOT. AND represents the intersection or overlap of two sets, OR represents the union or combination of two sets, and NOT represents the complement or opposite of a set.

4. What are the fundamental laws of Boolean Algebra?

The fundamental laws of Boolean Algebra are the commutative, associative, and distributive laws. The commutative law states that the order of operands does not affect the result, the associative law states that the grouping of operands does not affect the result, and the distributive law states that the multiplication of a sum is equal to the sum of the multiplications.

5. How is Boolean Algebra used in computer science?

Boolean Algebra is used in computer science to design and analyze digital circuits and logic gates, which are the building blocks of modern computer systems. It is also used in programming languages to create logical conditions and control structures.