Understanding Capacitor Behavior in Clamper Circuits

• Thread starter Princu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the conversation discusses doubts about clamper circuits and specifically the behavior of a +ve clamper circuit with an ideal diode. During the negative half cycle of the A.C input signal, the diode becomes forward biased and acts as a short circuit, causing the output across the load resistor to be zero. However, there is confusion about the behavior of the capacitor during this time and how it affects the usage of the capacitor as a voltage source. The capacitance being large, it does not discharge much during one half-cycle and its voltage can be regarded as fixed and constant. Additional resources are suggested to gain a better understanding of the concept.
Princu
I have having some serious doubts in clamper circuits.
For example,let me take the example of a +ve clamper circuit.

http://www.daenotes.com/images/positive-clamper.gif

The diode I am considering is an ideal one.In the notes,it is written that during the negative half cycle of the A.C input signal,diode becomes forward biased and it acts as a short circuit path and output across the load resistor will be zero.Fine.No problem upto this.

I am having trouble understanding the next sentence.
During this time,capacitor is charged to peak value of input voltage.My question is that if we apply Kirchoff voltage law in the circuit,then we will end up with the equation V(input)=V(capacitor) i.e. the voltage across the capacitor will be the same as the input.If that is the case,then won't the capacitor first charge(reach max voltage) in the first part of negative half cycle and then discharge(voltage zero) in the second part of the negative half cycle itself.This will inhibit the usage of the capacitor as a source of voltage as portryaed in the positive half cycle of circuit.But I know that what I am telling is not the case.Where I am thinking wrong? My lectures doesn't teach well and I am not able to grasp what she is saying.What do I do in this situation?

Please help me.I am totally confused.Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The capacitance is large, it doesn't discharge much at all during one half-cycle. Once an equilibrium is established, you can regard the voltage across the capacitor itself as fixed and essentially constant.

It may prove informative to look at the posts listed at the foot of this page ⇓⇓

Related to Understanding Capacitor Behavior in Clamper Circuits

1. What is a clamper circuit?

A clamper circuit is an electronic circuit that is used to shift the DC level of an AC signal. It is also known as a DC restorer or a DC level shifter.

2. What are the types of clamper circuits?

There are two types of clamper circuits: positive clamper and negative clamper. Positive clamper shifts the DC level of the input signal upwards, while negative clamper shifts it downwards.

3. How does a clamper circuit work?

A clamper circuit works by using a diode and a capacitor to shift the DC level of an AC signal. The diode allows the capacitor to charge and store the voltage, which is then used to shift the DC level of the signal.

4. What are the applications of clamper circuits?

Clamper circuits are commonly used in electronic devices to restore the DC level of AC signals, such as in power supplies, radios, and televisions. They are also used in audio equipment to prevent distortion and in signal processing circuits.

5. How can I design a clamper circuit?

To design a clamper circuit, you will need to determine the desired DC level shift, select the appropriate diode and capacitor values, and calculate the necessary resistor values. You can also use circuit simulation software to test and refine your design.