Understanding Closed and Open Sets in R^d

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of A\B being open and B\A being closed, given that A is open and B is closed. The proof uses the previous theorem stating that the union of an arbitrary collection of open sets is open, and the intersection of an arbitrary collection of closed sets is closed. It is mentioned that the proof does not depend on the assumption that B is a subset of A or vice versa. This logic applies to both parts of the question, proving that A\B is open and B\A is closed regardless of the relationship between A and B.
x_saved_kt
This is the question:
Let A be an open set and B a closed set. If B ⊂ A, prove that A \ B is
open. If A ⊂ B, prove that B \ A is closed.

Right before this we have a theorem stated as below:
In R^d,
(a) the union of an arbitrary collection of open sets is open;
(b) the intersection of any finite collection of open sets is open;
(c) the intersection of an arbitrary collection of closed sets is closed;
(d) the union of any finite collection of closed sets is closed.

So in each case, I think we can just say A\B=A∩B^c (B^c means B complement), and since both A and B^c are open (by assumption and then by definition of a closed set where if B is closed, B-complement is open) we use part (b) of the previous theorem, A\B is open. But in this proof, I didn't use the assumption that B⊂A, so I know it isn't right. Same goes for the second part of the question. PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
x_saved_kt said:
This is the question:
Let A be an open set and B a closed set. If B ⊂ A, prove that A \ B is
open. If A ⊂ B, prove that B \ A is closed.

Right before this we have a theorem stated as below:
In R^d,
(a) the union of an arbitrary collection of open sets is open;
(b) the intersection of any finite collection of open sets is open;
(c) the intersection of an arbitrary collection of closed sets is closed;
(d) the union of any finite collection of closed sets is closed.

So in each case, I think we can just say A\B=A∩B^c (B^c means B complement), and since both A and B^c are open (by assumption and then by definition of a closed set where if B is closed, B-complement is open) we use part (b) of the previous theorem, A\B is open. But in this proof, I didn't use the assumption that B⊂A, so I know it isn't right.
By what logic do you "know it isn't right"? Pehaps this particular part does NOT depend on B being a subset of A. For example, if A and B were disjoint, A\B= A which is, just as your proof would assert, open. The fact is that, if A is open and B is closed, the A\B is open and B\A is closed, whether A is a subset of B or B is a subset of A or not.

Same goes for the second part of the question. PLEASE HELP!

HallsofIvy said:
By what logic do you "know it isn't right"? Pehaps this particular part does NOT depend on B being a subset of A. For example, if A and B were disjoint, A\B= A which is, just as your proof would assert, open. The fact is that, if A is open and B is closed, the A\B is open and B\A is closed, whether A is a subset of B or B is a subset of A or not.
Ah, I see. Thanks, this makes a lot of sense now! I guess all I was thinking is that if in the question they indicated the "if"s I've got to be doing something wrong! hah! Thanks a lot for your help!

Related to Understanding Closed and Open Sets in R^d

1. What is the difference between closed and open sets in R^d?

Closed sets in R^d are sets that include all of their boundary points, while open sets do not include any of their boundary points.

2. How can I determine if a set is closed or open in R^d?

A set is closed in R^d if its complement is open. In other words, all points in the complement must be interior points of the set. A set is open in R^d if all of its points are interior points.

3. Can a set be both closed and open in R^d?

No, a set in R^d can either be closed or open, but not both. A set that is both closed and open is called a clopen set, and these only exist in certain topological spaces, not in R^d.

4. How are closed and open sets useful in mathematics and science?

Closed and open sets are fundamental concepts in topology, which is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of spaces that are preserved under continuous deformations. They are used in various fields, such as analysis, geometry, and physics, to study the properties of functions and spaces.

5. Are there any real-life examples of closed and open sets in R^d?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of closed and open sets in R^d. For instance, a closed ball (a set of points within a certain distance from a given point) is a closed set, while an open ball (a set of points within a certain distance from a given point, excluding the boundary) is an open set. Another example is a closed interval on the real line, such as [0,1], which includes all of its endpoints, while an open interval, such as (0,1), does not include its endpoints.