Understanding Complex Solutions and Plotting on a Function Graph

In summary, when solving a quadratic equation with a discriminant, if D>0, x1 and x2 can be found on the x-axis of a parabola. However, if D<0, the roots will be complex and cannot be found on the real plane. The coordinates of a minimum point can be found, but these points do not intersect the x-axis. The complex roots can be graphically represented on a different plane, using "j" as the z-axis.
usermath
When I solve a quadratic equation I need to find a Discriminant. If D>0 I have no problem. I can find x1 and x2. And when I draw a parabola I can see the x1 and x2 on a X-line.

But when D<0 I don't understand where I can find x1 and x2 on a plot of function.

For example for 5x2+2x+1=0
I have complex solutions: x1 = -0.2-0.4j and x2 = -0.2+0.4j

Ok. It's the answer, but what I can do with one? Where can I find this points on the plot of function?

It's a plot of funciton y=5x2+2x+1
GPryzOC.png

Coordinates of a Minimum Point is X = -0,2 Y = 0,8.

What does (y=0; x=-0.2+0.4) mean? How can I use this expression? Where I can find the point with coordinates y=0; x=-0.2+0.4j ?

Physics news on Phys.org
usermath said:
When I solve a quadratic equation I need to find a Discriminant. If D>0 I have no problem. I can find x1 and x2. And when I draw a parabola I can see the x1 and x2 on a X-line.

But when D<0 I don't understand where I can find x1 and x2 on a plot of function.

For example for 5x2+2x+1=0
I have complex solutions: x1 = -0.2-0.4j and x2 = -0.2+0.4j

Ok. It's the answer, but what I can do with one? Where can I find this points on the plot of function?

It's a plot of funciton y=5x2+2x+1
GPryzOC.png

Coordinates of a Minimum Point is X = -0,2 Y = 0,8.

What does (y=0; x=-0.2+0.4) mean? How can I use this expression? Where I can find the point with coordinates y=0; x=-0.2+0.4j ?
Not on the Real Plane, unfortunately.

Since the parabola shown does not intersect the x-axis, it has no real roots.

Because the discriminant D < 0, it does have a pair of complex conjugate roots which satisfy the equation.

Applying the Quadratic formula should give you:

x = {-2 ± √[(-4)2-4(5)(1)]} / (2)(5)

or x = -0.2 ± 0.2 i [Note: you made an arithmetic error when you took the square root of D]

I think traditionally "i" is used instead of "j" for complex numbers but that doesn't matter for your question.

The graph you are showing is a 2-dimensional graph of the x-y plane. x and y are real numbers so this is the "real" plane. Graphically there are no real values for x where y=0.

However, if you were to create another plane perpendicular to the x-y plane where you now use j as the "z"-axis then this is the "complex" plane. If you now plot the values of y for different values of x+zj you would get something in 3-dimensions that looks like a series of inverted parabolas that look like a saddle (called a hyperbolic paraboloid). Graphically you would see that the saddle intersects the y=0 plane on two lines: x = -0.2+0.2zj and x = -0.2 - 0.2zj.

image007.gif

In the picture z has taken the place of y and vice versa.

Thanks a lot. It was very useful answers for me.

Related to Understanding Complex Solutions and Plotting on a Function Graph

1. How do I represent a complex number?

A complex number is represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. For example, the complex number 2 + 3i has a real part of 2 and an imaginary part of 3i.

2. How do I add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, simply add or subtract the real and imaginary parts separately. For example, (2 + 3i) + (4 + 5i) = (2 + 4) + (3 + 5)i = 6 + 8i.

3. How do I multiply complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last). For example, (2 + 3i)(4 + 5i) = (2)(4) + (2)(5i) + (3i)(4) + (3i)(5i) = 8 + 10i + 12i + 15i^2 = 8 + 22i - 15 = -7 + 22i.

4. How do I divide complex numbers?

To divide complex numbers, multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator. The complex conjugate is the same number with the imaginary part flipped in sign. For example, (2 + 3i) / (4 + 5i) = (2 + 3i)(4 - 5i) / (4 + 5i)(4 - 5i) = (8 - 10i + 12i - 15i^2) / (16 - 20i + 20i - 25i^2) = (23 - 2i) / 41.

5. How do I represent a complex number in polar form?

In polar form, a complex number is represented as r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude or distance from the origin and θ is the angle in radians. To convert from rectangular to polar form, use the equations r = √(a^2 + b^2) and θ = tan^-1(b/a). For example, the complex number 3 + 3i in polar form would be √(3^2 + 3^2)(cos(π/4) + isin(π/4)) = 3√2(cos(π/4) + isin(π/4)).