Understanding Conceptual Questions for Exam - Physics 101

• Thread starter cougar_21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary, walking at a constant speed does not mean there is no net work involved. Friction, air resistance, and the flexing of muscles all require work. However, the energy cannot be regained efficiently, leading to feelings of tiredness. The force of a tennis racket on a ball is not a conservative force due to factors such as heat, sound, and friction. In a collision between a vase and the floor, momentum is conserved due to the inelastic collision between the two objects. In order to fully understand the conservation of momentum, the objects involved and their interactions must be taken into account.
cougar_21
You do no net work when you walk at a constant speed . Why do you get tired?

Is the force of a tennis racket acting on a tennis ball a conservative force?

A vase falls to the floor and shatters. Is momentum conserved in the collision?What objects needto be taken into account in describing the conservation of momentum?

Please help, I'm studying for an exam and need to understand the concepts in these questions. Thankz :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
cougar_21 said:

I know that getting tired is independent form work, since there is no work when on constant speed, but I don't know why you get tired does it have to do with energy

I know that the conservative force is a force for which the work is independent of the path. But nothing else. :confused:

and the third one i have no clue at all

You do do work! You do work in friction of your feet, air resistance, flexing your muscles. No pain no gain.

No, the tennis racket and ball get hot, sound is produced, friction takes place. But these might be exteremely small in comparison to the force of impact, and you can ignore it. In that case yes, it is conserved.

A vase falls to the floor and shatters. Is momentum conserved in the collision?What objects needto be taken into account in describing the conservation of momentum?

Yes, an inelsatic collision between the Earth and the vase. The Earth + vase both move when they impact in order to conserve momenutm.

Thank you i understand prefectly ! Hope I pass my test today

Actually, the statement "no net work" is not quite correct. IF there were no friction, then you would not have to "do work" to maintain a constant speed on a level. Of course, there IS friction so you have to do work. Also, and this may be more relevant, you have to do work at every step because you lift your body slightly with each step. You do no "net work" in that sense because your body comes back down again- and, theoretically, you could regain the energy when you come down (that's the idea behind a pogo stick!). Unfortunately, your muscles are not springs and cannot "regain" the work done. You actually have to do still more work as you "come down" from a step in order to cushion the impact.

Related to Understanding Conceptual Questions for Exam - Physics 101

1. What are conceptual questions in physics?

Conceptual questions in physics are questions that test your understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of physics, rather than your ability to solve numerical problems. They require a thorough understanding of the underlying concepts and their relationships.

2. How should I approach conceptual questions in a physics exam?

To approach conceptual questions, it is important to have a strong understanding of the basic concepts and their application in various scenarios. It is also helpful to read the question carefully, identify the key concepts involved, and apply your knowledge to come up with a logical and accurate answer.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when answering conceptual questions?

One common mistake is to rely solely on memorization of equations and formulas without understanding their underlying concepts. It is important to understand the principles and relationships between variables rather than just plugging numbers into equations. Another mistake is to rush through the question and not take the time to think critically about the concepts involved.

4. How can I improve my understanding of conceptual questions in physics?

To improve your understanding of conceptual questions, it is important to regularly review and practice applying the fundamental concepts and principles in different scenarios. You can also seek help from your instructor or peers, and actively engage in discussions and problem-solving activities.

5. Are conceptual questions more difficult than numerical problems in physics exams?

It depends on the individual's understanding and preparation. Some students may find conceptual questions more challenging as they require a deeper understanding and critical thinking, while others may find numerical problems more difficult. It is important to have a strong grasp of both conceptual and problem-solving skills to excel in physics exams.