Understanding converting a vector field to cartesian coords

In summary, the conversation is about a problem and solution involving cartesian coordinates and unit vectors. The person is confused about part B and is asking for clarification on how to reach the cartesian answer. They also question the use of .5 twice in the solution. The other person explains that 36 degrees is equal to 0.2π and that the two .5 terms are used to find the ax and ay components of 0.5ap. The person eventually figures out the solution by using equations for x and y in cartesian form.
shemer77

Homework Statement

Here is the problem and solution but I am confused as to part B
http://gyazo.com/e77d05fc67cb6ac266ff021ef88052dc

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the first part, but I am totally lost on how they reached their cartesian answer for part B. Firstly why did they do what they did, and secondly where did 36 degrees come from?

I feel like their is some sort of equation or something I am not understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
shemer77 said:

Homework Statement

Here is the problem and solution but I am confused as to part B
http://gyazo.com/e77d05fc67cb6ac266ff021ef88052dc

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the first part, but I am totally lost on how they reached their cartesian answer for part B. Firstly why did they do what they did, and secondly where did 36 degrees come from?

I feel like their is some sort of equation or something I am not understanding.

36 degrees is 0.2π. It's the angle the gave you for phi. Does that help? Other than that they are just using that if u is a unit vector then the component of D along u is (D.u)u.

Hmm ok but why does he have .5 twice as in .5(ap.ax)ax +.5(ap.ax)ay?

shemer77 said:
Hmm ok but why does he have .5 twice as in .5(ap.ax)ax +.5(ap.ax)ay?

One term finds the ax component of 0.5ap and the other finds the ay. Are you sure you understood the first part?

hmm okay thanks I think I figured it out. All I did was use the equations x = p*cosphi, y=p*sinphi and plugged those into the original equation which was already in cartesian for me.

Related to Understanding converting a vector field to cartesian coords

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that represents a vector quantity at every point in space. It can be visualized as arrows or lines that indicate the direction and magnitude of a vector at each point.

2. How do you convert a vector field to cartesian coordinates?

To convert a vector field to cartesian coordinates, you need to determine the x, y, and z components of the vector at each point in space. This can be done using mathematical equations and techniques such as gradient, divergence, and curl.

3. What are the applications of converting a vector field to cartesian coordinates?

The conversion of a vector field to cartesian coordinates has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to analyze and visualize vector quantities such as force, velocity, and electric fields.

4. What are the challenges of converting a vector field to cartesian coordinates?

Converting a vector field to cartesian coordinates can be challenging because it requires a solid understanding of vector calculus and mathematical techniques. It can also be time-consuming and computationally intensive, especially for complex vector fields.

5. Are there any tools or software available for converting a vector field to cartesian coordinates?

Yes, there are various software and programming libraries that can assist with the conversion of vector fields to cartesian coordinates. These include MATLAB, Mathematica, and Python libraries such as NumPy and SciPy.