Understanding Derivative and Integral Notation in Partial Differentiation

• Thread starter clm222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
and i thought that if i do integral, i have to use the same variable like \int_a^b x dx, but i can use any variable i want, like \int_a^b 4x-xj dy. and the second derivative uis just the antiderivative of the derivative.
clm222
I just started partial differentiation, and (amoung a few others) it brings up some questions of notation.

my first few questions are for the integral.

first: doesn't the "dx" at the end of an integral mean "in respect to x"? or any toher variable like "dl", in respect to l?

ie: [itex]\int 4x-xj dx=2{x^2}-\frac{j{x^2}}{2}[/itex]?
[itex]\int 4x-xjdj=-x[/itex]

second: if i want to do definite integration from a to b, and i have the second derivative, how to i diplay the lintegrand?

[itex]\int_a^b \int f''(x)dx[/itex]?
or maybe [itex]\int \int_a^b f''(x)[/itex]? I'm not sure

i also have some questions about derivatives, and their notaion.

first: is it bad to have a function 'd', since you will likely counter stuff like [itex]\frac{dd}{dx}[/itex]?

second: for partial derivatives, is it still bad to use 'd', like in my last question?

third: what are the details of using Leibnez's notation for higher order derivatives. can I write (given f(x,y)=z) "[itex]f_{xx}[/itex]" as "[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x∂x}[/itex]"? or as"[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂{x^2}}[/itex]". same with, say: [itex]f_{xyy}=\frac{∂f}{∂x∂{y^2}}[/itex] or [itex]f_{xxyxx}=\frac{∂f}{∂{x^2}∂y∂{x^2}}[/itex]
same with the "[itex]f_x[/itex]" notation. does [itex]f_{xx}=f_{x^2}[/itex]? [itex]f_{yxx}=f_{y{x^2}}[/itex] or [itex]f_{xxyxx}=f_{{x^2}y{x^2}}[/itex]?

please correct me any of my mistakes, i am not fully familiar with these notations. thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
clm222 said:
I just started partial differentiation, and (amoung a few others) it brings up some questions of notation.

my first few questions are for the integral.

first: doesn't the "dx" at the end of an integral mean "in respect to x"? or any toher variable like "dl", in respect to l?

ie: [itex]\int 4x-xj dx=2{x^2}-\frac{j{x^2}}{2}[/itex]?
[itex]\int 4x-xjdj=-x[/itex]
Was this a misprint? [itex]\int 4x- xj dj= 4j- xj^2/2[/itex] (plus a constant of course). It looks like you accidently differentiated rather than integrated.

second: if i want to do definite integration from a to b, and i have the second derivative, how to i diplay the lintegrand?

[itex]\int_a^b \int f''(x)dx[/itex]?
or maybe [itex]\int \int_a^b f''(x)[/itex]? I'm not sure
I'm not clear what you are talking about. Why would you have limits on one integral and not the other? What are you trying to find here? In any case, to have a double integral you really need to have two different variables.

i also have some questions about derivatives, and their notaion.

first: is it bad to have a function 'd', since you will likely counter stuff like [itex]\frac{dd}{dx}[/itex]?
Yes, avoid using 'd' for anything other that the differential sign! If your function is a "distance", use "D".

second: for partial derivatives, is it still bad to use 'd', like in my last question?
The danger of misunderstanding is not as bad but it would still be better to use the "correct" notation, [itex]\partial[/itex] (the Latex code is "\partial")

third: what are the details of using Leibnez's notation for higher order derivatives. can I write (given f(x,y)=z) "[itex]f_{xx}[/itex]" as "[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x∂x}[/itex]"? or as"[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂{x^2}}[/itex]". same with, say: [itex]f_{xyy}=\frac{∂f}{∂x∂{y^2}}[/itex] or [itex]f_{xxyxx}=\frac{∂f}{∂{x^2}∂y∂{x^2}}[/itex]
same with the "[itex]f_x[/itex]" notation. does [itex]f_{xx}=f_{x^2}[/itex]? [itex]f_{yxx}=f_{y{x^2}}[/itex] or [itex]f_{xxyxx}=f_{{x^2}y{x^2}}[/itex]?
Yes. And, as long as the derivatives are continuous, the order of differentiation is not important.

please correct me any of my mistakes, i am not fully familiar with these notations. thank you.

HallsofIvy said:
Was this a misprint? [itex]\int 4x- xj dj= 4j- xj^2/2[/itex] (plus a constant of course). It looks like you accidently differentiated rather than integrated.

I'm not clear what you are talking about. Why would you have limits on one integral and not the other? What are you trying to find here? In any case, to have a double integral you really need to have two different variables.

Yes, avoid using 'd' for anything other that the differential sign! If your function is a "distance", use "D".

The danger of misunderstanding is not as bad but it would still be better to use the "correct" notation, [itex]\partial[/itex] (the Latex code is "\partial")

Yes. And, as long as the derivatives are continuous, the order of differentiation is not important.

thats embarassing, i did differentiate, my bad :S

ok thank you

i acually just learned last night what a integral really was, i thought integration was antidifferentiating with the limits, i didnt know that integration is finding the difference of the antiderivatives to calculate the areas, not the difference of the function its self.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Understanding Derivative and Integral Notation in Partial Differentiation

1. What is the purpose of derivative/integral notation?

Derivative/integral notation is used in mathematics to represent the rate of change of a function or the area under a curve, respectively. It allows us to easily calculate and understand these fundamental concepts.

2. How is derivative/integral notation written?

Derivative notation is written using the symbol dy/dx or f'(x), representing the change in y with respect to x. Integral notation is written using the symbol ∫ f(x) dx, representing the area under the curve of f(x) with respect to x.

3. What is the difference between derivative and integral notation?

Derivative notation represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point, while integral notation represents the accumulation of the function over an interval. In other words, derivatives measure the slope of a curve, while integrals measure the area under a curve.

4. Can derivative/integral notation be applied to any type of function?

Yes, derivative/integral notation can be applied to any continuous function. However, some functions may require more advanced techniques to calculate the derivative or integral.

5. What is the relationship between derivative and integral notation?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that derivatives and integrals are inverse operations of each other. This means that the derivative of an integral is the original function, and the integral of a derivative is the original function plus a constant.