Understanding equations and their relationships (multiple equal signs)

In summary, the author is having trouble understanding the relationships between equations and is looking for clarification. Equality is symmetric and the term ma can be eliminated from further calculations if of any interest.
HoboBones
Homework Statement
Personal question
Relevant Equations
Used as examples: Ideal gas law & net force on object in fluid
Hello all,

I'm doing some major review for a upcoming final and am making sure to fill in some arithmetic gaps. I am trying study using only my equation sheet given for my course.

I am having a hard time understanding the relationships between some of the equations that are given. Specifically, equations and relationships with multiple "equal" signs.

Here are two examples:

Net force on object in fluid: Fnet = ma = FB - W

Ideal gas law: pV = NKBT = nRT = nNAKBT

Using the net force on a object in fluid for example, is it meant to be read from left to right? Are we able to manipulate these equations anyway we want?

Fnet = ma = FB - W

Fnet = ma ?
Fnet = FB - W ?
FB - W = ma ?
etc.

hoping to get some clarification, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
HoboBones said:
is it meant to be read from left to right?
Equality is transitive. If a=b and b=c then a=c. You can take them in whatever pairs you like.

haruspex said:
Equality is transitive. If a=b and b=c then a=c. You can take them in whatever pairs you like.
Thank you,

Here's a example where I keep getting hung up on.

Fnet=ma=FB-W

The example gives Fnet = FB + 17.5 N - W = 0

where did ma go? Why is the zero placed on the far right?

my interpretation using my given equation sheet is: 0 = FB + 17.5 N - W, because we know Fnet = 0
Screenshot 2022-12-03 at 5.17.53 PM.png
[/sub][/sub]

Last edited by a moderator:
HoboBones said:

You shouldn't get hung up on this: ## F_B + 17.5 \mathrm N - w = 0 ## is the same as your interpretation ## 0 = F_B + 17.5 \mathrm N - w ##.

HoboBones said:
Same answer to both questions. You are given the system is static, so ma=0.

pbuk said:
You shouldn't get hung up on this: ## F_B + 17.5 \mathrm N - w = 0 ## is the same as your interpretation ## 0 = F_B + 17.5 \mathrm N - w ##.
Or, to paraphrase @haruspex :

Equality is symmetric. If a=b then b=a. You can take them in any order you like.

Likes HoboBones
HoboBones said:

Fnet=ma=FB-W

The example gives Fnet = FB + 17.5 N - W = 0

The term ma (mass times acceleration of the body) could have still be shown, if of any interest.

The proper relation should be understood as

Acceleration of a body = Net force acting on the mass / Mass

Meaning that, any body will be accelerated in direct proportion to the net force (vectorial summation of all the forces) acting on it, and in inverse proportion to its mass.

It is not always like that, but in the shown case, the vectorial summation of all the forces (upward direction is assumed to be positive and downward to be negative) happens to be zero.
The mass multiplied by zero is zero; therefore, the ma term can be eliminated form further calculations.

Likes HoboBones
Lnewqban said:
The term ma (mass times acceleration of the body) could have still be shown, if of any interest.

The proper relation should be understood as

Acceleration of a body = Net force acting on the mass / Mass

Meaning that, any body will be accelerated in direct proportion to the net force (vectorial summation of all the forces) acting on it, and in inverse proportion to its mass.

It is not always like that, but in the shown case, the vectorial summation of all the forces (upward direction is assumed to be positive and downward to be negative) happens to be zero.
The mass multiplied by zero is zero; therefore, the ma term can be eliminated form further calculations.
Thank you, I really appreciate it. Light bulb moment

Likes Lnewqban

1. What are equations and why are they important in science?

Equations are mathematical expressions that represent the relationship between different variables. They are important in science because they allow us to describe and predict the behavior of natural phenomena, such as the motion of objects or the chemical reactions between substances.

2. What is the significance of multiple equal signs in an equation?

Multiple equal signs in an equation indicate that the expressions on either side are equivalent. This means that they have the same value or represent the same relationship between variables.

3. How can I solve an equation with multiple equal signs?

To solve an equation with multiple equal signs, you can use algebraic techniques such as simplifying, combining like terms, and isolating variables. It is important to follow the rules of algebra and perform the same operation on both sides of the equation to maintain its balance.

4. What is the difference between equations with one equal sign and equations with multiple equal signs?

Equations with one equal sign are simple expressions that equate two quantities, while equations with multiple equal signs involve more complex relationships between multiple variables. Equations with multiple equal signs may also have more than one solution.

5. How can understanding equations and their relationships help me in my scientific research?

Understanding equations and their relationships can help you make predictions and draw conclusions based on data. By manipulating equations, you can also design experiments or models to test and validate your hypotheses. Additionally, equations can be used to communicate and share scientific findings with others in a concise and precise manner.