Understanding Failure in Helical Gears: The Role of Rolling and Sliding Contact

In summary, the conversation discussed the differences between rolling and sliding dynamics in gears, specifically in the case of spur and helical gears. It was mentioned that the main cause of failure in spur gears is believed to be rolling, while the sliding contact in helical gears may play a more important role. However, there is a lack of literature comparing the effects of rolling and sliding on the surface of helical gear teeth. The conversation also touched on the advantages and disadvantages of helical gears, with the main disadvantage being end thrust. Lastly, there was a question about the statement regarding rolling being the main cause of failure in spur gears, with a request for a reference to clarify the statement.
Nahahahah
Hi everyone.
I'm a college student, and I need help of experts with gears.

What I know is that there are two dynamics in gear : rolling and sliding.
And I heard that the main cause of failure (wear) of spur gear is rolling.

Then... how about the cause of failure in the case of helical gear??
I felt that the sliding works as more important role in helical gear than spur gear because of their geometry.
But I can't find any literature that comparing effect of rolling and sliding on the surface of helical gear teeth (especially for failure).

And what is a difference between failure by rolling and sliding on the gear teeth??

I hope I could get an answer...
Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nahahahah said:
Then... how about the cause of failure in the case of helical gear??
Think of the helical gear as a stack of very thin spur gears with a one tooth twist in the stack. You will then see that helical and spur gears should be identical in wear characteristics. The advantage of helical is that there is no instant of tooth meshing contact, so the gears run quieter. The disadvantage is the end thrust.

Nahahahah said:
Where did you hear that? Do you have a reference?

Nahahahah said:

In it not clear just what this statement means. In a spur gear, there is sliding contact at all points of engagement other than momentarily at the pitch point. Nothing actually rolls. What exactly did you have in mind here?

1. What causes helical gears to fail?

Helical gears can fail due to several factors, such as improper installation, material defects, excessive loading, or misalignment. The most common cause is misalignment, which can lead to increased stress and wear on the gear teeth.

2. How can I prevent failure of helical gears?

To prevent failure of helical gears, it is important to ensure proper installation and alignment. Regular maintenance and lubrication can also help to prevent excessive wear and tear on the gears. Choosing high-quality materials and accurately calculating the gear design can also contribute to preventing failure.

3. What are the signs of helical gear failure?

Signs of helical gear failure may include excessive noise, vibration, or irregular gear wear. The gears may also become discolored or show signs of pitting or spalling on the gear teeth. It is important to address these signs as soon as possible to prevent further damage.

4. Can a failed helical gear be repaired?

In some cases, a failed helical gear can be repaired by replacing the damaged gear or teeth. However, it is often more cost-effective to replace the entire gear system rather than attempting a repair. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the best course of action for your specific situation.

5. How can I calculate the lifespan of helical gears?

The lifespan of helical gears can be calculated by considering factors such as the material, load, and operating conditions. Using a gear life calculation formula, it is possible to estimate the expected lifespan of the gears. However, it is important to note that unforeseen factors or errors in calculation can affect the actual lifespan of the gears.