Understanding free-body diagram: Circular Hoop

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with understanding the use of sine and cosine in a free-body diagram for a bead on a circular hoop. The question is about why sine is used for the x component instead of the y. The conversation explores the relationship between heading and direction in order to understand this concept. It is determined that the diagram used in the exercise may be confusing, as it marks both the angle to the vertical and the angle to the horizontal as β. It is suggested to ignore the β just left of the vertical dashed line in order to resolve the issue.
efn

Homework Statement

Understanding the free-body diagram of a bead on a circular hoop. I am calculating all forces on with x and y direction and a little confused.
  • Why is sin*angle_x and cos*angle_y reverted in this? Usually i go sin with y and x with cos.
  • Why is the force n=mg/(cos*beta) and not n=mg-(cos*beta)
See the attempted solution and help understanding this. Thanks.

Homework Equations

Newton's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

2mn0zuu.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the direction (maybe this is different terminology than you are used to, but direction is measured from due east counterclockwise) of the vector N? Hint: it is not β. What is β? Do you know how to switch from sine to cosine? Let's see if you can figure it out from there.

Isaac0427 said:
What is the direction (maybe this is different terminology than you are used to, but direction is measured from due east counterclockwise) of the vector N? Hint: it is not β. What is β? Do you know how to switch from sine to cosine? Let's see if you can figure it out from there.

Hey, i understand it this way. The circular direction is in x direction: a_rad. β is the angle. If you say direction is measured from due east counterclockwise of the vector N. Still not sure how to position the bead.

efn said:
Hey, i understand it this way. The circular direction is in x direction: a_rad. β is the angle. If you say direction is measured from due east counterclockwise of the vector N. Still not sure how to position the bead.
So β is the heading of N. Heading is measured from due north clockwise. Think about the direction of N, measured from due east counterclockwise. What I am trying to get at, is that when you use direction, x is cosine and y is sine, but when you use heading, y is cosine and x is sine. There are two ways to understand this; geometrically and numerically. First, for the numerical method, see if you can come up with a relationship between heading and direction.

Isaac0427 said:
So β is the heading of N. Heading is measured from due north clockwise. Think about the direction of N, measured from due east counterclockwise. What I am trying to get at, is that when you use direction, x is cosine and y is sine, but when you use heading, y is cosine and x is sine. There are two ways to understand this; geometrically and numerically. First, for the numerical method, see if you can come up with a relationship between heading and direction.

So, i tried to draw it this way. Alternative we could put the sine line at the end and get positve direction. Hopefully this is the right way of thinking.
2nr3hxf.jpg

efn said:
So, i tried to draw it this way. Alternative we could put the sine line at the end and get positve direction. Hopefully this is the right way of thinking.
View attachment 197533
I'm not quite sure what you're doing there. Go back to the original drawing and try to find the direction. It is the angle that N makes with the x-axis measured counterclockwise.

Isaac0427 said:
I'm not quite sure what you're doing there. Go back to the original drawing and try to find the direction. It is the angle that N makes with the x-axis measured counterclockwise.

So, far this is what i get from original drawings.

j81rva.jpg

Next thing revert this into positive directions?

efn said:
So, far this is what i get from original drawings.

View attachment 197579

Next thing revert this into positive directions?
Those are not the original drawing. Why don't you take my first suggestion on finding the relationship between heading and direction. Your question is about why sine is used for the x component instead of the y, right?

Isaac0427 said:
Those are not the original drawing. Why don't you take my first suggestion on finding the relationship between heading and direction. Your question is about why sine is used for the x component instead of the y, right?

The drawing i provided now are the original exercise drawings. The one in the first post is the free-body diagram solution for that exercise.

Yes, i still wondering why sine is used for x component. But i am still struggling to understand this. B_angle is the Heading of N from its right side, B_angle is also the bottom from its left side. How do you want me to get this?

efn said:
i still wondering why sine is used for x component.
The diagram is confusing. It seems to mark both the angle to the vertical and the angle to the horizontal as β. To be consistent with the equations, it must be the angle to the vertical. Ignore the β just left of the vertical dashed line.
Does that resolve it for you?

What is a free-body diagram for a circular hoop?

A free-body diagram for a circular hoop is a graphical representation of all the forces acting on the hoop in a particular situation. It includes information about the magnitude, direction, and location of these forces.

Why is it important to understand free-body diagrams for circular hoops?

Understanding free-body diagrams for circular hoops is important because it allows us to analyze the motion and stability of the hoop. By identifying all the forces acting on the hoop, we can determine the net force and acceleration of the hoop, as well as predict its behavior in different situations.

What are the common forces included in a free-body diagram for a circular hoop?

The common forces included in a free-body diagram for a circular hoop are the weight of the hoop, the normal force from the surface it is resting on, and the tension force from any strings or wires attached to the hoop. Frictional forces may also be included depending on the situation.

How do you draw a free-body diagram for a circular hoop?

To draw a free-body diagram for a circular hoop, start by identifying all the forces acting on the hoop, including their magnitude, direction, and location. Then, draw a circle to represent the hoop and label each force with an arrow pointing in the direction it acts. Make sure the length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the force.

What are some common misconceptions about free-body diagrams for circular hoops?

Some common misconceptions about free-body diagrams for circular hoops include only considering forces in the horizontal direction, not including the weight of the hoop, and assuming all forces are equal in magnitude. It is important to remember to include all forces and accurately represent their magnitude and direction in the diagram.