Understanding How Dampers and Springs Work in Car Suspension Systems

In summary, a forced system allows for an exterior force to be applied to the system in order to affect its motion, while a nonforced system will not have any external force acting on it. Frequency is important in understanding forced systems, as it can increase the amplitude of the motion under certain conditions.
Spacexplorer
Hi guys. It could be an easy question but I started at the deepest. I wonder how it works like a car suspension system. How does damper work with spring? What is the difference between forced-nonforced systems? Why do we calculate frequency of spring? What does it provide us? What is the point at writing motion equation? I need backup a little bit. I already thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks DEvens. I just wanted to some nonacademical info because I've already reviewed lots of site as yours. I wanted to talk fundamental concept. I have books :) I will consider your words. I will focus on just one topic.

Spacexplorer said:
What is the difference between forced-nonforced systems?

That would be a free system where only the gravity acts on it:

Animated-mass-spring.gif
A forced system would have an exterior force that would push and/or pull the mass (perhaps someone's hand or road disturbances on a moving vehicle).

Spacexplorer said:
Why do we calculate frequency of spring? What does it provide us? What is the point at writing motion equation?

One fascinating thing about a forced system, is that if you set the force at a certain frequency (like pushing a kid on a swing), you can observe that the motion amplitude will increase under that force, sometime until the spring breaks. We call this frequency the resonance frequency of the system (not just the spring).

Why do we care? Here is the typical example to demonstrate what can happen under this phenomena (the bridge's own weight represents the mass, its structure represents the spring stiffness plus some damping and a small wind creating turbulences under and over the bridge at the critical frequency is the force «gently» pushing the bridge):

So now the questions are «Why?», «How do we identify this frequency?» and «How can we attenuate the phenomena?» The answer lies in the equations of motion, hence their importance.

Spacexplorer said:
How does damper work with spring?

The damper provides the force that goes against the motion and can thus attenuate the amplification and slows down the motion until the mass goes to rest (without damping, the motion never stops, like in the previous animation).

The damping is almost always provided by some form of friction to take energy from the system:
  • The surrounding air acting against the mass will eventually slow down the motion;
  • In the elastic hysteresis of rubber, energy will be dissipated due to material internal friction;
  • A shock absorber will force a fluid passing through a small valve;
  • etc.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your comment. It was very illuminative knowledge for me.
P.S The video is the best :D

1. How do dampers and springs work together in a car suspension system?

Dampers and springs work together to absorb and dissipate energy from bumps and vibrations in the road. The spring supports the weight of the car and provides resistance to movement, while the damper controls the movement of the spring.

2. What is the purpose of dampers and springs in a car suspension system?

The main purpose of dampers and springs in a car suspension system is to provide a smooth and comfortable ride for the passengers. They also help to improve handling and stability of the car by keeping the wheels in contact with the road surface at all times.

3. How do dampers and springs affect the overall performance of a car?

The quality and condition of dampers and springs can greatly impact the overall performance of a car. They play a crucial role in maintaining the balance, handling, and stability of the vehicle, as well as providing a comfortable ride for the passengers.

4. How can I tell if my dampers and springs need to be replaced?

If you notice any signs of excessive bouncing, swaying, or uneven tire wear, it may be an indication that your dampers and springs are worn out and need to be replaced. It's important to have them inspected regularly to ensure they are functioning properly.

5. Are there different types of dampers and springs used in car suspension systems?

Yes, there are various types of dampers and springs used in car suspension systems, such as coil springs, leaf springs, air springs, and torsion bars. Each type has its own unique characteristics and is designed for different types of vehicles and road conditions.