Understanding Karnaugh Maps: Two Ways of Representation

In summary, the two ways to represent karnaugh maps are as either a table of values or as an equation with boolean variables. The first way is more straightforward, but the second way is more accurate.
DiamondV
Well, I've recently been studying karnaugh maps and I've noticed there's two sorts of ways to represent them. In my learning materials, sometimes they are expressed in one way,sometimes in another way.
For example:

http://puu.sh/luJBp/4b2c878122.png

Now, what I don't understand is with this method is that do I assume the variables to be initially 1? Otherwise the contents/minterms of the map itself don't really make sense. Also for this example no boolean expression was given.
I understand the other way of expressing karnaugh maps
filled_8_cell_karnaugh_map.gif

In this method, the numbers above the cells indicate the value of the variables whereas in the first method they don't? So do I assume the variables to initially be at 1? I've read several websites and watched videos and I can't seem to figure it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
DiamondV said:
Now, what I don't understand is with this method is that do I assume the variables to be initially 1?
There is no initial state where such a question would make sense.
All three tables are just different notations for the same thing (well, the third table corresponds to a different logic with different input variables).
"1" or "0", and "##Z##" or"##\overline Z##", represent the same thing.

Likes DiamondV
mfb said:
There is no initial state where such a question would make sense.
All three tables are just different notations for the same thing (well, the third table corresponds to a different logic with different input variables).
"1" or "0", and "##Z##" or"##\overline Z##", represent the same thing.
So z =1, and z bar = 0. Is that what I assume for the second table

The label "##Z##" means "if ##Z## is 1".
The label "##\overline Z##" means "if ##\overline Z## is 1".
Perfectly symmetric.

Likes DiamondV
mfb said:
The label "##Z##" means "if ##Z## is 1".
The label "##\overline Z##" means "if ##\overline Z## is 1".
Perfectly symmetric.
if Z bar is 1 doesn't that mean z=0

Sure.

And Z is 1 means Zbar is 0.

Likes DiamondV

1. What is a Karnaugh map?

A Karnaugh map, also known as a K-map, is a graphical representation of a truth table used to simplify logical expressions. It is a tool commonly used in digital logic design and is named after its creator, Maurice Karnaugh.

2. What are the two ways of representing Karnaugh maps?

The two ways of representing Karnaugh maps are the "sum of products" (SOP) form and the "product of sums" (POS) form. The SOP form is used to minimize a logical expression that is in the form of a sum of products, while the POS form is used for minimizing expressions that are in the form of a product of sums.

3. How do I plot a Karnaugh map?

To plot a Karnaugh map, you need to first determine the number of variables in your logical expression. Then, draw a grid with 2 rows and 2 columns for each variable. The number of cells in the grid will be 2 to the power of the number of variables. Finally, fill in the cells with the corresponding truth values from your truth table.

4. How do I simplify a logical expression using Karnaugh maps?

To simplify a logical expression using Karnaugh maps, you need to identify groups of adjacent 1s in the map. These groups can be in any direction (horizontal, vertical, or diagonal) and can wrap around the edges of the map. Once you have identified all the groups, each group can be simplified to a single term in the minimized expression.

5. What are the benefits of using Karnaugh maps for logic simplification?

Karnaugh maps offer several benefits for logic simplification. They provide a visual representation of a truth table, which can make it easier to identify patterns and simplify expressions. They also help to minimize the number of terms in an expression, resulting in a more efficient logic circuit. Additionally, Karnaugh maps can be used for expressions with up to six variables, making them a versatile tool for simplifying complex logic expressions.