Understanding L2M2M3 Auger Process

• Thread starter eintagsfliege
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Process
In summary, the conversation is about the L2M2M3 Auger process and how it looks like in a shell scheme. The link provided may offer some information, but the person asking for help did not find it helpful. Another person explains that the numbers 2 and 3 represent subshells and are not significant in schematic drawings. They suggest using spectroscopic notations instead. The article mentioned may provide more relevant information. The person thanking Rajini for their help.
eintagsfliege
Hi there

Can someone teach me how a L2M2M3 Auger process looks like?
I appreciate every kind of help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I hope this may help you:
http://www.nucleide.org/DDEP_WG/introduction.pdf
you may get some information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dint find it. I was wondering how it looks in a shell scheme, but anyway thanks for your help Rajini!

Hi,
I think 2 and 3 in L2M2M3 represent the subshells (not shell). So it is not highly significant to draw/show these transitions in schematic drawings or in shells schemes (i guess shell schemes means you draw a circular nucleus and draw K,L,M,etc circles around it!). Otherwise one can draw spectroscopic notations (here you draw K, L, M, lines instead of circles).
For example L2M2M3 means: L2 electron is knocked/removed and this vacancy is filled by M2 electron. After wards M3 electron (generally Auger electron) will be automatically removed.
In this article you can find some relevant information on LMM Auger emission.
DOI: 10.1007/s10751-005-9177-1
Hope it helps.
Cheers

Thank you rajini! Very nice!

Related to Understanding L2M2M3 Auger Process

1. What is the L2M2M3 Auger process?

The L2M2M3 Auger process is a type of atomic decay in which a core electron in a higher energy level (L) transfers its energy to an electron in a lower energy level (M) through the emission of a photon. The photon can then transfer its energy to a third electron (M3), resulting in the ejection of this electron from the atom and leaving behind an ionized atom.

2. How does the L2M2M3 Auger process differ from other types of atomic decay?

The L2M2M3 Auger process is different from other types of atomic decay, such as alpha or beta decay, in that it involves the transfer of energy between two electrons rather than the emission of a particle. This process is also known as an "inner-shell" process, as it involves electrons in the innermost energy levels of an atom.

3. What is the significance of understanding the L2M2M3 Auger process?

Understanding the L2M2M3 Auger process is important in a variety of fields, including materials science, surface science, and analytical chemistry. This process can be used to study the electronic structure of atoms and molecules, as well as the properties of surfaces and thin films. It also has practical applications in the development of new materials and technologies.

4. How do scientists study the L2M2M3 Auger process?

Scientists use a technique called Auger electron spectroscopy (AES) to study the L2M2M3 Auger process. This involves directing a beam of electrons at a sample and measuring the energy and intensity of the electrons emitted during the Auger process. By analyzing this data, scientists can determine the energy levels and composition of the sample.

5. Are there any limitations to the L2M2M3 Auger process?

While the L2M2M3 Auger process is a valuable tool for studying atomic and molecular properties, it does have some limitations. For example, it is only applicable to elements with atomic numbers greater than 3, as lower atomic numbers do not have a high enough energy difference between their energy levels to produce a detectable Auger signal. Additionally, the process is highly sensitive to the chemical environment of the atom, making it difficult to interpret results in complex systems.