PHI 600 Scanning Auger Multiprobe Problem

• Thread starter redscienceranger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phi Scanning
In summary, the PHI 600 Scanning Auger Multiprobe Problem is a surface analysis technique that uses a focused electron beam and a mass spectrometer to obtain elemental and chemical information of a material. It has high sensitivity and depth resolution, is non-destructive, and can analyze a wide range of materials. However, it is limited to surface analysis, requires a high vacuum environment, and may be subject to charging effects. Common applications include materials science, semiconductor industry, metallurgy, catalysis, and environmental science.
redscienceranger
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with the Perkin Elmer PHI 600 Scanning Auger Multiprobe? I ran into a problem with my system. Please respond so we can discuss this in detail.
Thanks.

It is a rather specialized topic. I did not expect to get any responses immediately. Given the age of the instrument (manufactured in the 1980s) and the fact that I am looking for troubleshooting advice instead of academic help, it is safe to say that there will not be any quick responses. I am working the manufacturer (Physical Electronics) to resolve the issue but still no success.

1. What is PHI 600 Scanning Auger Multiprobe Problem?

The PHI 600 Scanning Auger Multiprobe Problem is a technique used in surface analysis to obtain elemental and chemical information of a material. It involves using a focused electron beam to eject core electrons from the surface of a material, which are then analyzed by a mass spectrometer to determine the elemental composition.

2. How does the PHI 600 Scanning Auger Multiprobe Problem work?

The instrument uses a focused electron beam to sputter the surface of the material, causing the ejection of core electrons. These electrons are then collected by a mass spectrometer, which separates them based on their mass-to-charge ratio. The resulting spectrum provides information about the elements present on the surface of the material.

3. What are the advantages of using the PHI 600 Scanning Auger Multiprobe Problem?

One of the main advantages is its high sensitivity, which allows for the detection of elements down to parts-per-million levels. It also provides excellent depth resolution and can analyze a wide range of materials, including metals, semiconductors, and insulators. Additionally, the technique is non-destructive, meaning the sample can be analyzed multiple times without altering its surface.

4. What are the limitations of the PHI 600 Scanning Auger Multiprobe Problem?

One limitation is that the technique is surface-sensitive, meaning it only provides information about the top few nanometers of a material. It also requires a high vacuum environment, which can limit the analysis of some materials. Additionally, the instrument may be subject to charging effects, which can affect the accuracy of the results.

5. What are some common applications of the PHI 600 Scanning Auger Multiprobe Problem?

The technique is commonly used in materials science and engineering for surface characterization and quality control. It is also used in the semiconductor industry for failure analysis and process control. Additionally, it has applications in fields such as metallurgy, catalysis, and environmental science.