Understanding Length Contraction: What is Limit of Vanishing Transport Velocity?

In summary: Google isn't helping either.In summary, the length contraction mentioned in the wikipedia article is a phenomenon where the time interval between two events becomes shorter as the transport speed between the events becomes slower. This is explained by the fact that the clocks at the two events experience different amounts of time dilation due to their different transport speeds.
Philip Dhingra
I'm trying to understand length contraction from wikipedia, and they mention clock synchronization:

The observer installs a row of clocks that either are synchronized a) by exchanging light signals according to the Poincaré-Einstein synchronization, or b) by "slow clock transport", that is, one clock is transported along the row of clocks in the limit of vanishing transport velocity.​

However, I can't find out what "limit of vanishing transport velocity" means. Google isn't helping either.

Physics news on Phys.org
It means just what it says. Consider moving the clocks at 1 mph, the .5, then .25, etc. For some distance of transport, for decreasing transport speeds, you will see a trend in the result. Extrapolate to zero transport speed.

PAllen said:
It means just what it says. Consider moving the clocks at 1 mph, the .5, then .25, etc. For some distance of transport, for decreasing transport speeds, you will see a trend in the result. Extrapolate to zero transport speed.
I'm not sure I understand. Trend in what result?

Ok, let me be painfully explicit. Imagine you have many identical clocks at position A. You transport them at varying speeds to position B. At position B, they will be found to differ slightly. As a function of transport speed, you can extrapolate to what reading would occur for zero transport speed. This extrapolated clock setting for clocks at B is what you take to be synchronized with clock at A.

If this still doesn’t help you, I give up. Hopefully someone else can explain if you clarify what you don’t understand.

Do you know what a limit is, as a mathematical concept?

Likes Ibix
Philip Dhingra said:
I'm not sure I understand. Trend in what result?
If you have a lot of synchronised clocks at point A, and move them one by one to point B at different speeds and then compare them all at B they will have lost their synchronisation. This is (slightly loosely speaking) because of the different amounts of time dilation each clock experienced because of its speed.

The only way to get rid of time dilation effects would be to travel at zero velocity, but that would take a while :wink:. But if you note down the times shown by all your clocks at some instant and plot that as a function of their transport velocity you will find it's asymptotic to some value. Spoiler: it's asymptotic to an Einstein synchronised clock.

Actually doing this is very tricky. A muck up of slow clock transport was one of the possible explanations for the OPERA faster than light neutrino mystery (turned out to be a loose wire in a detector though).

Edit: Pretty much exactly what PAllen said...

Likes Philip Dhingra
PAllen said:
Ok, let me be painfully explicit. Imagine you have many identical clocks at position A. You transport them at varying speeds to position B. At position B, they will be found to differ slightly. As a function of transport speed, you can extrapolate to what reading would occur for zero transport speed. This extrapolated clock setting for clocks at B is what you take to be synchronized with clock at A.

If this still doesn’t help you, I give up. Hopefully someone else can explain if you clarify what you don’t understand.

Do you know what a limit is, as a mathematical concept?
I understand now. The synchronization process you described explains the concept! I didn't (and still don't) understand the language. How do you travel "in the limit of" something? It's not an expression I'm familiar with. I know what limits are.

Philip Dhingra said:
How do you travel "in the limit of" something?
You don't. You travel with a velocity v. Then again with velocity v/2. Again with velocity v/3. Etcetera.

Then you deduce the result of the limiting case where you travel with velocity zero. That's all they mean.

Likes Philip Dhingra

1. What is length contraction?

Length contraction is a phenomenon in which the length of an object appears to decrease when it is moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How does length contraction occur?

Length contraction occurs because the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. As an object approaches the speed of light, the distance between its two endpoints appears to decrease from the perspective of an outside observer.

3. What is the limit of vanishing transport velocity?

The limit of vanishing transport velocity refers to the point at which the speed of an object is approaching the speed of light. At this point, the length of the object will appear to contract to zero from the perspective of an outside observer.

4. How is length contraction related to time dilation?

Length contraction and time dilation are two sides of the same coin. As an object moves at high speeds, it experiences both time dilation (time appears to slow down) and length contraction (length appears to decrease). This is due to the relative nature of time and space in Einstein's theory of relativity.

5. Can length contraction be observed in everyday life?

Yes, length contraction is a real phenomenon that can be observed in everyday life. However, it is only noticeable when objects are moving at extremely high speeds, such as those reached by particles in accelerators or in space travel. In our everyday lives, the effects of length contraction are too small to be perceived.