Understanding Lens Flare: Causes and Observations | Light Phenomenon Explained

• Thread starter kamari rised
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eye Lens
In summary, an expert summarizer sees lens flares within the eye as something like a halo or star-like pattern that is more visible when the person is not sleeping or on some sort of stimulant.
kamari rised
Hey I've been looking around about lens flare's within the eye. well not necessarily lens flares, but the category it falls under and what exactly is it. Just wondering if anyone here know's where I can find it or tell me what exactly it is and causes it. Basically when I look at street light's (white street lights) I can see purple ring around it, or if I see like yellow street lights or pole lights, I can see the particles scatter around it. Been searching for a while, but nothing really on it.

lens_flare08.jpg

Kinda like something like this.
I also see it mostly when I don't sleep or on some sort of drug (makes it stand out more than usual)
I'm not really looking for answers such as glaucoma or stuff like that, just the science or physics behind it.

Like I used to go on walks a lot and listen to music just to clear my toughts, and just observe and I'm guessing it might be your unconscious viewing the light in a whole new perspective, Cause light's are not light's from the way I view them anymore, It's more like energy, Or perhaps and observing adaption. The more you focus on the light the more you start to see. (repeat)

If you start out seeing a light see like a halo type ring form,
Then the more you observe it you see halo within a halo,
Then you can start seeing from far away, rainbow type spectrum within the halo's,
Then you see the particles.

I can also let's say stare at a white wall, while in a meditative state and put my attention (not actually think) on the color blue, the wall starts turning blue, and the more I focus, The stronger it gets.

This is a better view of it.

night-view-street.jpg

01.jpg

^^ This one's more of the particle type I'm trying to explain about. Except for the particles surround the light in a circle or oval type pattern, and their's alot... Stand's out quite a bit.

Science news on Phys.org
What category do you guys think this falls under? I've been searching forever and can't find it. It's more aware when I haven't slept for a while, or was in a deep trance, or on some sort of stimulant.

A good friend has had radial keratotomy (and regrets it) and has star-like flares at night. Simpler flares can be due to astigmatism, while others can be due to blockages/distortions caused by cataracts. I suggest you get your eyes looked at by an ophthalmologist (not an optometrist). They are trained to recognize physical/medical conditions that optometrists can miss. Good luck.

turbo said:
A good friend has had radial keratotomy (and regrets it) and has star-like flares at night. Simpler flares can be due to astigmatism, while others can be due to blockages/distortions caused by cataracts. I suggest you get your eyes looked at by an ophthalmologist (not an optometrist). They are trained to recognize physical/medical conditions that optometrists can miss. Good luck.

My vision is Great, for some reason I feel as though it may be better than most, i love the beauty nature, looking at the textures, movements, reflections, energy. An ophthalmologist might be a bit too expensive for me atm though, so Imma take my chances and hope for the good. If there is a problem. Thanks

Lens flare is a common phenomenon that occurs when light enters a camera lens or the eye and causes a scattered reflection, resulting in a hazy or washed-out appearance in the image. It is caused by internal reflections within the lens or eye, and can also be affected by the number and placement of lens elements, as well as the angle and intensity of the light source.

In your case, the purple ring and particles you are seeing around street lights are likely caused by lens flare. When light from the street light enters your eye, it reflects off the various elements within your eye and creates these visual effects. The intensity and color of the light source can also play a role in the appearance of the flare.

It is also interesting to note that you mention seeing these effects more prominently when you are sleep-deprived or under the influence of drugs. This could be due to the fact that your eyes are more sensitive and your brain is more active, making you more aware of these visual distortions.

In terms of the science behind it, lens flare is a result of the laws of optics and the way light behaves when passing through a medium. It is a natural and common occurrence, and while it may be distracting at times, it is not harmful to the eye.

I hope this helps to provide a better understanding of lens flare and its causes. If you have any further questions or concerns, it is always best to consult with an eye care professional.

1. What is lens flare?

Lens flare is a phenomenon in which light scatters and creates a series of bright spots or streaks in an image. It is caused by light entering the camera lens at an angle and reflecting off the surfaces of the lens elements.

2. What causes lens flare?

Lens flare is caused by light entering the camera lens at an angle and reflecting off the surfaces of the lens elements. This can happen when the sun or a bright light source is in or near the frame of the image, or when the lens is pointed towards a bright light source.

3. How does lens flare affect images?

Lens flare can have both positive and negative effects on images. It can add a unique and artistic element to a photo, creating a dreamy or hazy look. However, it can also decrease the contrast and clarity of an image, resulting in a loss of detail and color saturation.

4. Can lens flare be prevented?

Lens flare can be prevented or minimized by using a lens hood, adjusting the position or angle of the camera, or by using a lens filter. These techniques can help to block or reduce the amount of light entering the lens and causing flare.

5. Is lens flare the same for all lenses?

No, lens flare can vary depending on the type and quality of the lens used. Cheaper or lower quality lenses may produce more noticeable and distracting flare, while higher quality lenses may have coatings or design elements that reduce flare.