Understanding Limits in Calculus: A Guide to Apostol Book - Page 129

In summary, he is stuck on page 129 in the Apostol Calculus book and is looking for help. He states that lim(x->p) f(x) = A is equivalent to say that lim(x->p) ( f(x) - A) = 0 OR lim(x->p) | f(x) - A| = 0. He can not make these transformations algebraically, so he asks for help. The equivalence becomes apparent as soon as we write each of these statements in the ε, δ terminology. The book's definition of a limit is such that |f(x)-A|<ε whenever 0<|x-p|< δ. Don't leave
mamute
Hello guys, I am stuck in page 129 on Calculus Vol I - Apostol book. I would like to know if there is anybody here who can help me. I am not a mathematician, so It might be a simple transformation but I am not going through it.

He states that:

lim(x->p) f(x) = A is equivalent to say that:

lim(x->p) ( f(x) - A) = 0 OR

lim(x->p) | f(x) - A| = 0

I can not make these transformations algebraically, how can it be done?

Thanks for any help
Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
mamute said:
Hello guys, I am stuck in page 129 on Calculus Vol I - Apostol book. I would like to know if there is anybody here who can help me. I am not a mathematician, so It might be a simple transformation but I am not going through it.

He states that:

lim(x->p) f(x) = A is equivalent to say that:

lim(x->p) ( f(x) - A) = 0 OR

lim(x->p) | f(x) - A| = 0

I can not make these transformations algebraically, how can it be done?

Thanks for any help
Cheers

Would you agree a=b, a-b=0 and |a-b|=0 all mean the same thing? That's really almost the whole story. There is nothing complicated going on here.

Last edited:
The book's definition of a limit is such that:

| f(x) -A | < ε whenever 0 < | x - p | < δ

So it presents the three equations (on the previous post) and it says: The equivalence becomes apparent as soon as we write each of these statements in the ε, δ terminology.

That is the core of my doubts. How to write those three equations.

Sorry that I wasn't clear enough in the first post.

mamute said:
The book's definition of a limit is such that:

| f(x) -A | < ε whenever 0 < | x - p | < δ

So it presents the three equations (on the previous post) and it says: The equivalence becomes apparent as soon as we write each of these statements in the ε, δ terminology.

That is the core of my doubts. How to write those three equations.

Sorry that I wasn't clear enough in the first post.

The definition of lim(x->p) f(x)=A is for all ε>0 there exists a δ>0 such that |f(x)-A|<ε whenever 0<|x-p|< δ. Don't leave out the quantifiers. Now follow their advice and write out what lim(x->p) (f(x)-A)=0 means.

that is exactly the point where I am confused.

Since we have:
lim(x->p) f(x) = A, then, in my opinion, we would have

lim(x->p) ( f(x) - A) = 0, since A is defined in the line above:

lim(x->p) ( f(x) - lim(x->p) f(x) ) = 0

And I don't know how to go any further from here. ;/

Alternatively, iff you consider:
lim(x->p) ( f(x) -A ) = 0, as we know |f(x) -A| < ε
lim(x->p) ( ε ) would be ε, not zero.

Last edited:
If lim(x->p) g(x)=0 then what's the definition of that? Spell it out for me. Then put g(x)=f(x)-A.

Thank you, that was good.

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is the value that a function approaches as the input (x) approaches a certain point. It is denoted as "lim f(x) as x approaches a."

2. How do you evaluate a limit algebraically?

To evaluate a limit algebraically, you can use techniques such as factoring, simplifying, or using trigonometric identities to rewrite the function. Then, you can plug in the given value for x and solve for the limit.

3. What is the difference between left-hand and right-hand limits?

Left-hand and right-hand limits refer to the values that a function approaches from the left and right sides of a given point, respectively. The left-hand limit is denoted as "lim f(x) as x approaches a^-" and the right-hand limit is denoted as "lim f(x) as x approaches a^+." The limit only exists if both the left-hand and right-hand limits are equal.

4. What is the Squeeze Theorem?

The Squeeze Theorem states that if two functions, g(x) and h(x), are both approaching the same limit as x approaches a and g(x) is always less than or equal to f(x) which is always less than or equal to h(x), then f(x) must also approach the same limit as x approaches a.

5. How do you determine if a limit does not exist?

A limit does not exist if the left-hand and right-hand limits do not equal each other or if at least one of the limits is infinite. Additionally, a limit may not exist if there is a jump or hole in the graph of the function at the given point.