Understanding linear transformation

In summary: So, in a situation where there is a non-differentiable ##u(t)## but a continuous ##F(u)##, we would still have a vector in ##C({R})##.In summary, the function ##F## can be a linear transformation from ##U## to ##V=C(\mathbf{R})## if and only if the term ##\mathbf{u}^{(n)}(t)## is not eliminable.
schniefen
TL;DR Summary
Understanding the linear transformation of ##F(\mathbf{u})(t)=\mathbf{u}^{(n)}(t)+a_1\mathbf{u}^{(n-1)}(t)+...+a_n\mathbf{u}(t)##.
How can the function ##F(\mathbf{u})(t)=\mathbf{u}^{(n)}(t)+a_1\mathbf{u}^{(n-1)}(t)+...+a_n\mathbf{u}(t)##, where ##\mathbf{u}\in U=C^n(\mathbf{R})## (i.e. the space of all ##n## times continuously differentiable functions on ##\mathbf{R}##) be a linear transformation (from ##U##) to ##V=C(\mathbf{R})##? In ##F##, isn't the term ##\mathbf{u}^{(n)}(t)## not eliminable and so one always gets a vector in ##C^n(\mathbf{R})##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by eliminable? ##u^{n} ## is only continuous after ##n## differentiations and so is ##F(u)##.

fresh_42 said:
What do you mean by eliminable? ##u^{n} ## is only continuous after ##n## differentiations and so is ##F(u)##.
Doesn't ##(\mathbf{u}^{(n)}(t),\mathbf{u}^{(n-1)}(t),...,\mathbf{u}(t))## represent a basis for ##U=C^n(\mathbf{R})##, and so in order to transform a vector from ##U## to ##V=C(\mathbf{R})## (with basis ##\mathbf{u}(t)##), one would have to be able to cancel the other basis vectors by choosing appropriate coefficients in ##F##?

What is the dimension of ##C^n(\mathbb{R})\,?## Compare it with the dimension of the space of all polynomials of a certain degree and lower: What is ##\dim_\mathbb{R} \{\,a_nx^n+\ldots+a_1x+a_0\,|\,a_i\in \mathbb{R}\,\}\,?##

Likes schniefen
Is ##\dim C^n(\mathbb{R})=\dim_\mathbb{R} \{\,a_nx^n+\ldots+a_1x+a_0\,|\,a_i\in \mathbb{R}\,\}\,=n##?

We have ##n+1## independent directions ##a_i##, which is finite. But regardless the plus one, do we have ##\sin (t) ## in the vector space of polynomials? It is certainly in ##C^n(\mathbb{R})##.

What is the basis for ##C^n(\mathbb{R})##?

I don't know one. Maybe Legendre polynomials, but I'm not even sure whether if it's countable or not. I suspect it isn't.

But doesn't ##\dim C^n(\mathbb{R})=n+1## imply a basis of ##n+1## vectors?

##\dim C^n(\mathbb{R})=n+1## implies anything, because it is wrong. We have ##P^k(\mathbb{R}) \subseteq C^n(\mathbb{R})## for all ##k,n \in \mathbb{N}##, where ##P^k## is the algebra of (real) polynomials of degree at most ##k##, and we have ##\sin \notin P^k## for any ##k##.

This shows, that ##\dim C^n(\mathbb{R})## is at least countably infinite and that ##P^n(\mathbb{R})## is a proper subset.

Likes member 587159 and schniefen
schniefen said:
In ##F##, isn't the term ##\mathbf{u}^{(n)}(t)## not eliminable and so one always gets a vector in ##C^n(\mathbf{R})##?

A vector in ##C^n({R})## is also vector in ##C({R})##.

I think what you mean to ask about is a situation where ##u(t)## is ##n## times continuously differentiable, but not ##n+1## times continuously differentiable. You are worried that the ##u^n(t)## term in ##F(u)## might cause ##F'(u) = u^{(n+1)} + ...## not to exist. I think there is a distinction between the notation ##C({R})## and ##C^1({R})##. For ##F(u)## to be in ##C({R})## , it need not be differentiable. It only has to be continuous. The function ##u^{(n)} ## is continuous even though it may not be differentiable.

Likes schniefen

What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another while preserving the algebraic structure of the original space. It is a type of transformation that involves scaling, rotating, reflecting, and shearing a vector space without changing its shape or orientation.

What is the difference between a linear transformation and a non-linear transformation?

The main difference between a linear transformation and a non-linear transformation is that a linear transformation preserves the structure of the original vector space, while a non-linear transformation does not. This means that a linear transformation will always produce a straight line or a plane, while a non-linear transformation can produce curves, bends, and other irregular shapes.

How do you represent a linear transformation?

A linear transformation can be represented in several ways, depending on the context. In general, it can be represented as a matrix, a set of equations, or a graph. The matrix representation involves using a matrix to represent the linear transformation, while the equation representation involves using a set of equations to describe the transformation. The graph representation involves plotting the original vector space and the transformed vector space on a graph to visually show the transformation.

What are the applications of linear transformations?

Linear transformations have numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and data analysis. They are used to model and analyze real-world phenomena, such as the motion of objects, electrical circuits, and data relationships. In computer graphics, linear transformations are used to create 3D objects and animations. In data analysis, they are used to transform and manipulate data for better analysis and understanding.

How do you determine if a transformation is linear?

To determine if a transformation is linear, it must satisfy two properties: additivity and homogeneity. Additivity means that the transformation of the sum of two vectors is equal to the sum of the individual transformations. Homogeneity means that the transformation of a scaled vector is equal to the scaled transformation of the original vector. If these two properties are satisfied, then the transformation is linear. Additionally, a linear transformation can also be represented by a linear equation in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.