Understanding Logarithms: Solving Equations and Creating Tables of Values

• Thread starter ohhnana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's confusion with logarithms and the use of a calculator to evaluate them. It also includes a brief explanation of logarithms in relation to an algebra course progression. The student is advised to use a calculator to find logarithms and to download the latest operating system for their TI-84 calculator.
ohhnana

Homework Statement

Ok I'm taking an online advanced function course, and we are on logarithms and I don't get it one bit , there two questions given to me 1. y = 2 log10x and y = log5 (x – 2),

Homework Equations

The told me to make a table of value , i don't understand how i will get the numbers,
can and explain how i would be able to solve this

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Besides using approximations, i think you will just need to use a calculator to evaluate logarithms. I'm assuming that the 10 and the 5 after 'log' refer to the base of the logarithm? Some calculators might only have base 10 logarithms and base e logarithms (natural logarithm), so to evaluate a base 5 log you will need to change the base. If this is the case then do a google search for 'logarithm change of base'

so what does the 2 before the log mean, i get the base part and stuff

Well as you have written it just looks like it is 2 multiplied by the logarithm.

You are trying to jump too many courses. The earliest course in which you learn about logarithms is "Algebra 2" (Intermediate Algebra). The functions learned there are not advanced. The course and topic progression could go something like this:

Algebra 1 - learn about numbers, mostly Real numbers. Learn about points and lines on cartesian coordinate system.
Algebra 2 - learn about number functions; learn about inverses of functions. In particular, you study exponential functions and their inverses, the logarithmic functions.

You showed us this:
there two questions given to me 1. y = 2 log10x and y = log5 (x – 2),

Are you trying to express these?
[tex]\[
y = 2\log (10x)
\]
[/tex] and [tex]\[
y = \log (5(x - 2))
\]
[/tex]

If so, then what is the base supposed to be?

Or are you trying to express these:
[tex]\[
y = 2\log _{10} x
\]
[/tex] and [tex]\[
y = \log _5 (x - 2)
\]
[/tex]
?

"Make a table of values" means to evaluate them for different values of x- and you will need a calculator to do that. Logarithm to base 10 will be on your calculator, probably a key labled "LOG" (as opposed to LN which is a different kind of logarithm). To find the logarithm to base 5, use the formula
[tex]log_a(x)= \frac{log_{10}(x)}{log_{10}(a)}[/tex]
with a= 5.

HallsofIvy said:
"Make a table of values" means to evaluate them for different values of x- and you will need a calculator to do that. Logarithm to base 10 will be on your calculator, probably a key labled "LOG" (as opposed to LN which is a different kind of logarithm). To find the logarithm to base 5, use the formula
[tex]log_a(x)= \frac{log_{10}(x)}{log_{10}(a)}[/tex]
with a= 5.

If you have a TI-84 with a recent version of its OS, however (at least 2.53MP), you can take the logarithm with any base without needing to use the change of base formula.
logBASE.gif

Really cool, I think.

Thank you very much , I'm starting to understand this more .. i have a TI-84 plus how do i get the recent version of OS?

ohhnana said:
Thank you very much , I'm starting to understand this more .. i have a TI-84 plus how do i get the recent version of OS?

Here is the most recent OS file:
http://education.ti.com/calculators/downloads/US/Software/Detail?id=6014"

In order to download it to your calculator you will need TI-Connect...
Windows: http://education.ti.com/calculators/downloads/US/Software/Detail?id=183"
Mac: http://education.ti.com/calculators/downloads/US/Software/Detail?id=286"

... and a USB cable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Understanding Logarithms: Solving Equations and Creating Tables of Values

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that tells you how many times you need to multiply a certain number (called the base) by itself to get a given number. For example, the logarithm base 2 of 8 is equal to 3, because 2 multiplied by itself 3 times equals 8.

Why are logarithms important?

Logarithms are important in many areas of mathematics and science, including engineering, economics, and physics. They allow us to solve equations involving exponential functions, which are common in real-world applications. Logarithms also help us compress large numbers into more manageable sizes, making computations easier.

How are logarithms related to exponents?

Logarithms and exponents are inverse functions of each other. This means that if you take the logarithm of a number, and then raise the base to that power, you will get back the original number. For example, if log base 2 of 8 equals 3, then 2 to the power of 3 equals 8.

What is the difference between natural logarithms and common logarithms?

Natural logarithms use the base e, which is an irrational number approximately equal to 2.71828. Common logarithms use the base 10. Natural logarithms are often used in calculus and mathematical analysis, while common logarithms are used in more practical applications.

How do you solve equations involving logarithms?

To solve equations with logarithms, you need to use the properties of logarithms. These include the product property, quotient property, and power property. You can also use the inverse relationship between logarithms and exponents to simplify the equation. It is important to check your solution to make sure it is valid for the given logarithmic function.