Understanding Mean Force in Tandem Steam Engines

In summary: I was thinking. In summary, the author found a solution to a problem but does not understand what the problem is asking or what is actually happening in the machine. He wants a better understanding of everything going on. He includes a diagram and a clear sheet of his work. One issue he had was that the diameter of the piston rod was not given and he made a guess. Another thing he did not understand was what is meant by "mean force" and what was happening in each section of the piston. He also mentions that for d2 he used the average of d1 and d3 which is not the average. He also tried using different values for d2 and found that 3.25 in. was the average. He
cwill53
Homework Statement
Determine the mean force in a piston rod connecting pistons in two tandem cylinders of a steam engine if the diameters of the pistons are $$D_{1}$$=12.5 in., $$D_{2}$$=24in., the diameters of the piston rods are $$d_{1}$$=2.5in, $$d_{3}$$=4 in., and the mean steam pressures $$p_{1}$$= 135$$lb/in^{2}$$, $$p_{2}$$= 35.5$$lb/in^{2}$$, and $$p_{3}$$= 1.5$$lb/in^{2}$$.
Relevant Equations
$$p=\frac{\vec{F}}{A}$$
I found the correct solution using the equation that relates force and pressure, but I don't REALLY understand what the question is asking and what is actually going on in the machine. I want a better understanding of everything that's going on, not just an answer. Below is a clear diagram and a clear sheet of my work.

IMG_6852.jpg
IMG_6851.jpg

One issue I had was that the diameter of the piston rod d2 is not given. Maybe it was a typo? I don't know. But I made a guess and assumed that it was the average between d1 and d3. Another thing I don't get is what is meant by "mean force," and what exactly is happening in each section of the piston.

Physics news on Phys.org
cwill53 said:
Homework Statement:: Determine the mean force in a piston rod connecting pistons in two tandem cylinders of a steam engine if the diameters of the pistons are ##D_{1}=12.5 ##in., and ##D_{2}=24##in.,
the diameters of the piston rods are ##d_{1}=2.5##in, ##d_{3}=4 ##in.,
and the mean steam pressures ##p_{1}= 135 ##lb/in2, ##p_{2}= 35.5##lb/in2, and ##p_{3}= 1.5##lb/in2.
Relevant Equations:: ##p=\frac{\vec{F}}{A}##

I found the correct solution using the equation that relates force and pressure, but I don't REALLY understand what the question is asking and what is actually going on in the machine. I want a better understanding of everything that's going on, not just an answer. Below is a clear diagram and a clear sheet of my work.

View attachment 261424View attachment 261425

One issue I had was that the diameter of the piston rod d2 is not given. Maybe it was a typo? I don't know. But I made a guess and assumed that it was the average between d1 and d3. Another thing I don't get is what is meant by "mean force," and what exactly is happening in each section of the piston.
You mention that for ##d_2## you used the average of ##d_1## and ##d_3##, but in your solution (by the way: It's very hard to read.) you used 3.25 in. for ##d_2##, which is not the average.
(Added in Edit: Of course you were right. 3.25 in. is the average of 2.50 in. and 4.00 in. )

Did you try using some different value for ##d_2## ?

For the mean force, you used ##(F_A+F_C)-(F_B+F_D)##.
Which of these terms depend on ##d_2##, or what you call ##A_{d_2}##?
Can you see what happens to any dependence on ##d_2##?

Last edited:
SammyS said:
You mention that for ##d_2## you used the average of ##d_1## and ##d_3##, but in your solution (by the way: It's very hard to read.) you used 3.25 in. for ##d_2##, which is not the average.

Did you try using some different value for ##d_2## ?

For the mean force, you used ##(F_A+F_C)-(F_B+F_D)##.
Which of these terms depend on ##d_2##, or what you call ##A_{d_2}##?
Can you see what happens to any dependence on ##d_2##?
3.25 is (2.5in+4in)/2. The higher d2 is the lower the total areas would be for the calculations for Force B and Force D.
D8257EA3-120A-4078-A8E6-7AA06FAEA386.png

cwill53 said:
3.25 is (2.5in+4in)/2.
Oh yes! So it is. I need a new calculator.

As for ##(F_A+F_C)-(F_B+F_D)## :

Write that as ##F_A+ (-F_B)+F_C + (-F_D)##. Then write out ##F_B## and ##F_C ## in terms of the A's and p's .

Likes cwill53
This is not really important to the question, but in your relevant equations you gave ##p = \frac{\vec{F}}{A}##. This can't be right, since the LHS is a scalar and the RHS is a vector! A better relationship would be ##\vec{F} = p\vec{A}##, where ##\vec{A}## is the area vector of the surface (magnitude equals the area, direction is along the normal of the surface, i.e. ##\vec{A} = A\hat{n}##). Of course, the form we're first introduced to is just obtained by taking the magnitudes ##F = pA##.

Just thought you might find this interesting! It doesn't have any bearing on your working :cool:

Likes cwill53
etotheipi said:
This is not really important to the question, but in your relevant equations you gave ##p = \frac{\vec{F}}{A}##. This can't be right, since the LHS is a scalar and the RHS is a vector! A better relationship would be ##\vec{F} = p\vec{A}##, where ##\vec{A}## is the area vector of the surface (magnitude equals the area, direction is along the normal of the surface, i.e. ##\vec{A} = A\hat{n}##). Of course, the form we're first introduced to is just obtained by taking the magnitudes ##F = pA##.

Just thought you might find this interesting! It doesn't have any bearing on your working :cool:
I like the attention to detail, thanks for sharing that, I see it AS relevant as it’s always good to practice good habits!
Thanks for explaining area as a vector too, I was about to ask that as I was reading.

Likes etotheipi
SammyS said:
Oh yes! So it is. I need a new calculator.

As for ##(F_A+F_C)-(F_B+F_D)## :

Write that as ##F_A+ (-F_B)+F_C + (-F_D)##. Then write out ##F_B## and ##F_C ## in terms of the A's and p's .
Alright.
Can you help me understand what’s going on in the picture? I see what the object is, but I don’t have an intuitive understanding of what’s happening.

cwill53 said:
Alright.
Can you help me understand what’s going on in the picture? I see what the object is, but I don’t have an intuitive understanding of what’s happening.
I can try. However, if you actually do the regrouping I suggested, symbolically rather than after plugging in numbers, this all might be clear. I can't tell whether or not you did this.

An attempt at a little bit more physical explanation:
The issue here deals with:
FB , the force exerted (to the left, thus negative) on the right side of Piston #1 by steam at a pressure of p2
and
FC , the force exerted (to the right, thus positive) on the left side of Piston #2 by steam also at a pressure of p2.

As the figure and the given dimensions suggest, the the net effect of these two forces is that pressure, p2 acting on the right side area of Piston #1 exerts a force, FB, which cancels the force generated by p2 on an equivalent portion of area on the left side of Piston #2. The amount of force not canceled is just the force generated by a pressure of p2 acting on the remaining area of the left side of Piston #2. That area is ##\dfrac{\pi}{4}\left({D_2}^2 - {D_1}^2 \right) ##. This is independent of the area of the connecting rod, diameter d2.

In conclusion: The connecting rod subtracts the same area from each piston face discussed here and both of those faces are subjected to the same pressure.

Likes cwill53 and etotheipi
The question is worded in a way that's slightly bizarre to me. It appears a much clearer way of stating the problem is just "find the resultant force on the rigid body consisting of the pistons and the rod". All that remains to do is to compute the total force on this body, like you said \begin{align*} F_x &= F_{ax} - F_{bx} + F_{cx} - F_{dx} \\
&= P_1 A_1 - P_2 A_2 + P_2 A_3 - P_3 A _4\\
&= P_1 \frac{\pi}{4}({D_1}^2 - {d_1}^2) - P_2 \frac{\pi}{4}({D_1}^2 - {d_2}^2) + P_2 \frac{\pi}{4}({D_2}^2 - {d_2}^2) - P_3 \frac{\pi}{4}({D_2}^2 - {d_3}^2)\\
\end{align*} And then as @SammyS pointed out you get cancellation of the ##\frac{\pi}{4} P_2 {d_2}^{2}## terms.

This resultant force is going to cause the body to accelerate inside the cylinders, which will evidently change the pressures and result in a new resultant force. Hence our result holds only for this particular instant.

I might be missing something here but that is what I interpreted the question as!

Likes cwill53
SammyS said:
I can try. However, if you actually do the regrouping I suggested, symbolically rather than after plugging in numbers, this all might be clear. I can't tell whether or not you did this.

An attempt at a little bit more physical explanation:
The issue here deals with:
FB , the force exerted (to the left, thus negative) on the right side of Piston #1 by steam at a pressure of p2
and
FC , the force exerted (to the right, thus positive) on the left side of Piston #2 by steam also at a pressure of p2.

As the figure and the given dimensions suggest, the the net effect of these two forces is that pressure, p2 acting on the right side area of Piston #1 exerts a force, FB, which cancels the force generated by p2 on an equivalent portion of area on the left side of Piston #2. The amount of force not canceled is just the force generated by a pressure of p2 acting on the remaining area of the left side of Piston #2. That area is ##\dfrac{\pi}{4}\left({D_2}^2 - {D_1}^2 \right) ##. This is independent of the area of the connecting rod, diameter d2.

In conclusion: The connecting rod subtracts the same area from each piston face discussed here and both of those faces are subjected to the same pressure.
I think it was more so the wording of the question that got me a bit confused. When the book says “mean force”. That just sounds weird. Thanks for the thorough explanation. After actually thinking about what the regrouping means and looking at the diagram it makes sense.

etotheipi said:
This resultant force is going to cause the body to accelerate inside the cylinders, which will evidently change the pressures and result in a new resultant force. Hence our result holds only for this particular instant.

I might be missing something here but that is what I interpreted the question as!
I interpreted this as having an external connection between the the two center chambers, keeping both at the same pressure, p2. Otherwise, as you point out, "our result holds only for this particular instant." In addition to that, knowing the diameter of the connecting rod would be crucial.

Likes cwill53
etotheipi said:
The question is worded in a way that's slightly bizarre to me. It appears a much clearer way of stating the problem is just "find the resultant force on the rigid body consisting of the pistons and the rod". All that remains to do is to compute the total force on this body, like you said \begin{align*} F_x &= F_{ax} - F_{bx} + F_{cx} - F_{dx} \\
&= P_1 A_1 - P_2 A_2 + P_2 A_3 - P_3 A _4\\
&= P_1 \frac{\pi}{4}({D_1}^2 - {d_1}^2) - P_2 \frac{\pi}{4}({D_1}^2 - {d_2}^2) + P_2 \frac{\pi}{4}({D_2}^2 - {d_2}^2) - P_3 \frac{\pi}{4}({D_2}^2 - {d_3}^2)\\
\end{align*} And then as @SammyS pointed out you get cancellation of the ##\frac{\pi}{4} P_2 {d_2}^{2}## terms.

Yea I see now. This diagram looks like a simplified version of something that could happen in an engine. I screenshotted these pics from www.vintagemachinery.org and it looks just like the problem from the book

728FE7CE-49D4-475B-8FA6-66313DA1B0DC.png

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
SammyS said:
I interpreted this as having an external connection between the the two center chambers, keeping both at the same pressure, p2. Otherwise, as you point out, "our result holds only for this particular instant." In addition to that, knowing the diameter of the connecting rod would be crucial.
That’s another thing that was weird. I assumed it might have been a typo that the diameter of the connecting rod was not given. Is there a mathematical way to determine the diameter of that rod assuming it didn’t happen to be the average of the two other rods?

cwill53 said:
That’s another thing that was weird. I assumed it might have been a typo that the diameter of the connecting rod was not given. Is there a mathematical way to determine the diameter of that rod assuming it didn’t happen to be the average of the two other rods?
Did you not understand after all?
If both of those portions of the cylinders are maintained at the same pressure as each other, then the diameter of the connecting rod does not matter. You get the same answer whether d2 is 0.01 in. or even the maximum possible, 12.5 in.

Likes cwill53
SammyS said:
Did you not understand after all?
If both of those portions of the cylinders are maintained at the same pressure as each other, then the diameter of the connecting rod does not matter. You get the same answer whether d2 is 0.01 in. or even the maximum possible, 12.5 in.
I see now, I took another look at the diagram and read what you said while looking at the diagram. The right side of the piston on the left and the left side of the piston on the right are both subject to the same pressure, but the forces caused by said pressure are acting in the opposite direction, I can just subtract the area D1 from D2, which will be in the positive direction because D2 has a larger area. Then just multiply that by P2 and add the positive and negative forces coming from Fa and Fd, respectively. Thanks for that. I know you literally said it several times.

I'd also like to emphasise that it makes no sense to talk of the force "in" a rod, only the force "on" a rod. The closest thing you'd get to a force in a rod is an internal force pair between two interacting mass elements, though that sort of thing is not at all relevant in this problem.

Sloppiness on the book's part!

Likes cwill53
etotheipi said:
I'd also like to emphasise that it makes no sense to talk of the force "in" a rod, only the force "on" a rod. The closest thing you'd get to a force in a rod is an internal force pair between two interacting mass elements, though that sort of thing is not at all relevant in this problem.

Sloppiness on the book's part!
I assume it’s because it was translated poorly. It was originally a Russian book, this was translated in the 60’s if I’m not mistaken.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
cwill53 said:
I see now, I took another look at the diagram and read what you said while looking at the diagram. The right side of the piston on the left and the left side of the piston on the right are both subject to the same pressure, but the forces caused by said pressure are acting in the opposite direction, ...
I did a search for tandem steam engines, then tandem compound steam engines. Learned some interesting things. Here's an image from the same site where you took your screen-shot, showing only tandem cylinder arrangement along with the steam flow and valving.
SteamEngineIMG_6852-4023-B.jpg

(http://vintagemachinery.org/MfgIndex/Images/4023-B.jpg)

In this position, the pistons are just beginning their motion to the right. So that as in the figure from your textbook the two central cylindrical cavities are held at approximately the same pressure. I found other aspects of these engines to be of interest, but I'll end this post here.

Likes cwill53

1. What is the mean force in a piston rod?

The mean force in a piston rod is the average force exerted by the gas or fluid on the piston during the power stroke of an engine.

2. How is the mean force calculated in a piston rod?

The mean force in a piston rod can be calculated by dividing the total force exerted on the piston during the power stroke by the length of the power stroke.

3. What factors affect the mean force in a piston rod?

The mean force in a piston rod can be affected by factors such as the size and design of the engine, the type of fuel used, and the operating conditions of the engine.

4. Why is the mean force important in engine design?

The mean force in a piston rod is an important factor in engine design as it affects the overall performance and efficiency of the engine. A higher mean force can result in more power output, while a lower mean force can lead to smoother operation and reduced wear on engine components.

5. How can the mean force in a piston rod be optimized?

The mean force in a piston rod can be optimized by carefully designing the engine components, selecting the appropriate fuel and operating conditions, and using advanced technologies such as variable valve timing and turbocharging.