Understanding Moment of Inertia: Exploring the Mechanics of a Slender Rod

In summary, the beam has a weight of W and if it is pulled by cable A if cable B fails, the beam is a slender rod.
LiviaPimentel

Homework Statement

The uniform beam shown in the IMAGE below has a weight W. If it is originally resting while supported on A and B by cables, determine the pull on cable A if cable B suddenly fails. Admit that the beam is a slender rod.
IMAGE:
pexels-photo-301014.jpe

Homework Equations

TotalTorque=I*α →TotalTorque= T*L/4=I*α ; α=a/(L/4) ; in which a=acceleration of the rod

W - T = m*a

W-T = m*T*L^2/(16*I)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, in my attempting of solving the problem, I considered that the moment of inertia utilized
in these equations is equal to m*(L^(2)/3). This is the moment of inertia of a bar that rotates around a point of its end. What I can not understand is why the teacher who provided the solution of this problem on the internet considered that I = m*(L^(2)/12), that is the moment of inertia of a bar that rotates around its center.

Can someone tell me why my way of thinking is wrong? (is it wrong?)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem can be solved by using a basic idea that angular acceleration is same for all possible axes. If you take torque about centre and divide it by MOI about centre , that must be equal to same ratio about point of suspension.

Both axes will have either one of the forces absent from the equation.

Likes LiviaPimentel
LiviaPimentel said:
why my way of thinking is wrong?
You can do it either way as long as you are consistent. The axis for the MoI must be the same as the axis for the torque.
Your
LiviaPimentel said:
T*L/4=I*α
takes the axis to be the mass centre of the rod, so that fixes the value of I to be used.
If you want to use the MoI about A then use the torque about A, WL/4.

Likes LiviaPimentel
Thank you, Ashish Dogra and haruspex!
Now I understand it, thanks to you!

=)

1. What is a moment of inertia problem?

A moment of inertia problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the moment of inertia of an object. This is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It takes into account the object's mass and distribution of mass around its axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This value is then summed for all parts of the object and can be expressed as I = ∑mr², where m is the mass and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What factors affect moment of inertia?

The factors that affect moment of inertia include the mass of the object, the distribution of mass around its axis of rotation, and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation. Objects with more mass, a larger radius of rotation, or a greater concentration of mass around the axis will have a higher moment of inertia.

4. How is moment of inertia related to rotational motion?

Moment of inertia is directly related to rotational motion. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion, and moment of inertia specifically refers to an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. A higher moment of inertia means it will be more difficult to change the object's rotational speed or direction.

5. What are some real-life applications of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia has many real-life applications, including in the design of sports equipment such as golf clubs and tennis rackets. It is also important in the design of machinery and vehicles, as well as in understanding the behavior of celestial bodies in space. In engineering, moment of inertia is crucial for determining the stability and strength of structures.