Understanding Multiple Scale Setup: M1 Hanging from Two Identical Scales

In summary, the question discusses the readings of two hanging scales when a block of mass, M1, is hung from a hypothetical hanging scale that is in turn hung from a second identical scale, which is then hung from a nail in the wall. The question is whether both scales would read M1 or 1/2 M1. After some discussion, it is determined that both scales would read M1 as the tension in the string would cause both scales to have their springs extended the correct amount to read the full mass.
Westside47
Howdy! I saw this question posted on someones blog the other day and just could not for the life of me reason out an answer that i could 100% agree with.

Say a block of mass, M1, hangs from a hypothetical hanging scale of 0 mass, which in turn hangs from a second identical scale, which in turn hangs from a nail in the wall. What would the scales read? both M1? 1/2 M1?

Originally i figured they would both read 1/2 M1, but the more i think about, i think i may have convinced myself that they would both read M1.

Here is a diagram if the wording was hard to understand.

. o nail
. |
. (o) hanging scale
. |
. (o) hanging scale
. |
. |M1| block of mass
Your thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hodwy Westside47! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Westside47 said:
Howdy! I saw this question posted on someones blog the other day and just could not for the life of me reason out an answer that i could 100% agree with.

For cast-iron reasoning, call the tensions in the string T1 T2 and T3, and do Ftotal = 0 for each of the scales. :wink:

Since the 1st scale and its load are supported only by the 2nd scale, both scales should read M1. It would be 1/2 M1 for each if both scales were hanging directly on the wall sharing the load.

Unless I misread.

Westside47 said:

Say a block of mass, M1, hangs from a hypothetical hanging scale of 0 mass, which in turn hangs from a second identical scale, which in turn hangs from a nail in the wall. What would the scales read? both M1? 1/2 M1?

Originally i figured they would both read 1/2 M1, but the more i think about, i think i may have convinced myself that they would both read M1.

Here is a diagram if the wording was hard to understand.

. o nail
. |
. (o) hanging scale
. |
. (o) hanging scale
. |
. |M1| block of mass

Your thoughts?

Another way for you to think about it...

Picture the scales as traditional spring scales. The mass reading goes up as the spring extends, right?

Say you have one scale hanging from the wall nail, and are holding the other scale plus mass M1 with your hand. What do the two scales read? The scale in your hand has its spring extended the correct amount for it to read M1, right? What about the scale on the wall?

Now carefully hang the scale in your hand from the scale on the wall. Does the spring in the scale that you were holding change length? How would it know it was hung from your hand versus hung from another scale? What does the top scale read now?

Thanks so much for the timely responses. Now that i think of it like that, I think i have found the answer :) thanks!

Related to Understanding Multiple Scale Setup: M1 Hanging from Two Identical Scales

1. What is the purpose of setting up multiple scales for a hanging object?

The purpose of setting up multiple scales for a hanging object is to accurately measure the weight of the object. By using two identical scales, we can distribute the weight of the object evenly and get a more precise measurement.

2. How do you set up multiple scales for a hanging object?

To set up multiple scales for a hanging object, start by attaching the object to a string or rope. Then, connect the string to one scale, making sure the object is hanging freely. Next, take another string and connect it to the other scale, making sure it is also hanging freely. Finally, adjust the scales so that they are at the same height and level with each other.

3. Why is it important to use identical scales for this setup?

Using identical scales is important because it ensures that the distribution of weight is even and accurate. If the scales are not identical, they may have different sensitivities or calibrations, leading to an incorrect measurement.

4. What happens if one scale shows a different weight than the other?

If one scale shows a different weight than the other, it could be due to an uneven distribution of weight on the scales or a difference in calibration. To get an accurate measurement, make sure the object is hanging freely and the scales are at the same height and level with each other.

5. Are there any limitations to using this method for measuring weight?

Yes, there are limitations to using this method for measuring weight. This setup is most accurate for small objects with relatively low weights. For larger or heavier objects, it may be necessary to use a different method of measurement, such as a single, larger scale.