Understanding Nano Wires in Chemistry: Easy-to-Read Notes and Articles

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of Nano Technology in Chemistry and the request for easily understandable notes and articles on the subject. The topic of Superconductors was also mentioned, and it was clarified that it is not directly related to Nano Technology. The conversation also touched upon the synthesis of nanoparticles and nanowires, with suggestions for further research. The conversation ended with a brief summary of the main focus of the presentation and gratitude for the help provided.
lo2
I know this might be Physic stuff but, we are doing Nano Technology in Chemistry so that is why I am posting it here.

What I would like is some notes and article on this subject and it should be something eaisly understandable, not something hardcore stuff with a lot of formulas. If you have got some articles from a scienticif magazine or something that would be really nice.

And has the topic Super Conducters anyting to do with Nano Technology?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Here's one:
http://www.magneticsmagazine.com/e-prints/hoffmann.pdf

Superconductivity (one word) is not directly related to Nanotechnology.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201 said:
Here's one:
http://www.magneticsmagazine.com/e-prints/hoffmann.pdf

Superconductivity (one word) is not directly related to Nanotechnology.

But is that not more about Medical Nano Technology than Nano wires?

Thanks for the article anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't read the title! That was the first thing that came to mind when I thought "nanoparticles" and "chemistry". There's a section in that article where it talks about the synthesis of ~50nm particles with very tight size tolerances using capsid shells from bacteriophage virii. It's essentially a very clever synthetic approach for that size range.

As for nanowires, there's probably a zillion articles out there, but there's no one article that I can think of as more useful than others.

Besides, we don't know what this is for. Is this a middle school class or an advanced, college level course?

Gokul43201 said:
Didn't read the title! That was the first thing that came to mind when I thought "nanoparticles" and "chemistry". There's a section in that article where it talks about the synthesis of ~50nm particles with very tight size tolerances using capsid shells from bacteriophage virii. It's essentially a very clever synthetic approach for that size range.

As for nanowires, there's probably a zillion articles out there, but there's no one article that I can think of as more useful than others.

Besides, we don't know what this is for. Is this a middle school class or an advanced, college level course?

I have to do a brief presentation of it. College level but as I said I have only got five minutes and I therefore can I only tell the basics and not go into details...

There's essentially two types of synthesis techniques for nanowires:
(i) patterning (using lithography and evaporation, or deposition along controlled nanocracks)
(ii) self-assembly (using crystallographic techniques like vapor-liquid-solid growth)

If you briefly outline the salient features of these two techniques, that will make for a good 5-minute talk. I would suggest you try googling some of the keywords I've used above along with "nanowire synthesis"...you should find something useful.

So what you are talking about is making Nano Wires by Chemical Synthesis? Is that correctly understood?

Yes, I'm pointing you towards the synthesis of nanowires (rather than the characterization, study of various physical phenomena, or development of applications), because that is closest related to chemistry (the rest is essentially physics and electronics).

Gokul43201 said:
Yes, I'm pointing you towards the synthesis of nanowires (rather than the characterization, study of various physical phenomena, or development of applications), because that is closest related to chemistry (the rest is essentially physics and electronics).

Ok thank you for yor help, mostly appreciated!

Related to Understanding Nano Wires in Chemistry: Easy-to-Read Notes and Articles

1. What are nano wires?

Nano wires are extremely thin wire-like structures that have a diameter on the nanometer scale, typically less than 100 nanometers. They are made of various materials such as metals, semiconductors, or polymers.

2. How are nano wires used in chemistry?

Nano wires have a wide range of applications in chemistry, including in nanoelectronics, sensors, and catalysis. They can also be used as templates for the growth of other nanostructures.

3. What are the advantages of using nano wires?

Nano wires have several advantages over traditional materials, including their high surface-to-volume ratio, which allows for more efficient reactions and sensing capabilities. They also have unique electrical and mechanical properties that make them useful in various applications.

4. How are nano wires synthesized?

Nano wires can be synthesized using various techniques such as vapor-liquid-solid (VLS) growth, template-assisted growth, and electrodeposition. These methods allow for precise control over the size, shape, and composition of the nano wires.

5. What are some current research advancements in understanding nano wires in chemistry?

Recent research in this field has focused on improving the synthesis and characterization of nano wires, as well as exploring new applications in areas such as energy storage and biotechnology. Scientists are also working on developing methods to integrate nano wires into devices and systems for practical use.