Understanding Neuron Polarization

In summary: Well, the polarization of at least the dendritic arbors of in vivo populations of neurons oscillate with local gamma and global alpha rhythms. So the membrane potential oscillates between a more hyperpolarized and a more depolarized state, with the pulse probability of spike trains increasing during the more depolarized phases.
davgonz90
From what I understand, neurons at rest are in a state of polarization, with Na+ ions abundant on the outside of the cell and K+ ions abundant on the inside of the cell. During depolarization, sodium ions rush in, creating a highly positive charge on the inside of the cell relatively to the outside.

HERE'S MY QUESTION: How does the rush of K+ ions outside of the cell after depolarization restore a negative charge inside the cell - aren't there still an abundance of Na+ ions inside the cell when this happens?

Biology news on Phys.org
davgonz90 said:
How does the rush of K+ ions outside of the cell after depolarization restore a negative charge inside the cell -

They don't. It's the active transport process of the sodium-potassium pump that restores the hyperpolarized state.

davgonz90 said:
aren't there still an abundance of Na+ ions inside the cell when this happens?

There is until the the pump pumps them out and restores the hyperpolarized state.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/biology/nakpump.html
https://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/ap.html

davgonz90 said:
From what I understand, neurons at rest are in a state of polarization, with Na+ ions abundant on the outside of the cell and K+ ions abundant on the inside of the cell. During depolarization, sodium ions rush in, creating a highly positive charge on the inside of the cell relatively to the outside.

HERE'S MY QUESTION: How does the rush of K+ ions outside of the cell after depolarization restore a negative charge inside the cell - aren't there still an abundance of Na+ ions inside the cell when this happens?

The amount of ions that actually flow (for both Na and K) is actually quite small compared to their respective reservoirs. So yes, there are (slightly) more Na ions inside, but now there's (slightly) more K ions leaving the cell.

And in the long term, you have the pumps DiracPool mentioned pushing Na back out and pulling K back in. Note though, that the ion pumps are not responsible for repolarization or hyperpolarization; that's all potassium.

Likes T Damen
Pythagorean said:
Note though, that the ion pumps are not responsible for repolarization or hyperpolarization; that's all potassium.

Well, that's true for the initial re-polarization after an action potential as the efflux of Potassium abates well after the the sodium ion channels close. However, the -70mV hyperpolarized resting potential is maintained by the sodium-potassium pump.

I guess I've never heard the resting potential referred to as the "hyperpolarized resting potential". I associated hyperpolarization with the potassium over shoot and then once it gets back to -70mV it's just "polarized".

Pythagorean said:
I guess I've never heard the resting potential referred to as the "hyperpolarized resting potential". I associated hyperpolarization with the potassium over shoot and then once it gets back to -70mV it's just "polarized".

Well, the polarization of at least the dendritic arbors of in vivo populations of neurons oscillate with local gamma and global alpha rhythms. So the membrane potential oscillates between a more hyperpolarized and a more depolarized state, with the pulse probability of spike trains increasing during the more depolarized phases. So, I guess I think of membrane polarization more in terms of hyperpolarized and depolarized than just "polarized" per se.

1. What is neuron polarization?

Neuron polarization is the process by which a neuron develops distinct structures and functions to carry out its specialized role in the nervous system. This process involves the formation of an axon, which transmits information away from the neuron, and dendrites, which receive information from other neurons.

2. How does neuron polarization occur?

Neuron polarization occurs through a combination of genetic factors and environmental cues. During development, certain genes are activated or repressed to guide the formation of axons and dendrites. Additionally, interactions with neighboring cells and signaling molecules play a role in directing the polarization process.

3. What are the functions of polarized neurons?

Polarized neurons have distinct functions depending on their structure. Axons are responsible for transmitting electrical signals, while dendrites receive these signals and pass them on to the cell body. This allows for efficient communication within the nervous system, enabling processes such as perception, movement, and thought.

4. Can neuron polarization change over time?

Yes, neuron polarization can change over time through a process known as plasticity. This allows neurons to adapt and form new connections in response to changes in the environment or learning experiences. Plasticity is important for brain development and the ability to learn and remember information.

5. What happens if neuron polarization is disrupted?

Disruptions in neuron polarization can lead to neurological disorders and impairments in brain function. For example, defects in axon growth and guidance can result in conditions such as spina bifida, while alterations in dendrite formation have been linked to autism spectrum disorders. Understanding the mechanisms of neuron polarization can help in the development of treatments for these disorders.