Understanding Nucleus Decay: Nitrogen-14 to Carbon-11 Transformation Explained

In summary, a proton collides with a nucleus of nitrogen-14, resulting in a production of a nucleus of carbon-11 and an alpha particle. The reaction is an example of alpha decay, where the nucleus splits into a helium atom and a new nucleus with two less protons and neutrons. The final charge is conserved, with the alpha particle having a charge of 2+ and the carbon nucleus having a charge of 6+.
Nairmb
A proton collides with a nucleus of nitrogen-14 (atomic number 7). This collision produces a nucleus of carbon-11 (atomic number 6) and what else?

My attempt:
14/7N + proton -----> 11/6C + alpha particle?
I know it cannot be gamma decay, but I'm not sure if it's alpha or beta decay and what particle is produced (alpha particle, proton, beta particle, or neutron). Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at what must be conserved. Could charge, for instance, be conserved if a beta particle were emitted?

B- wouldn't work, but couldn't B+ decay work in that case? If it's B+ decay though. I don't know what happens with the lost protons from the Nitrogen atom.

The initial charge is plus 7 for the nitrogen and plus 1 for the proton, so the final charge must also be plus 8. And charge is not the only thing conserved.

So would proton + 14/7N ---> 11/6 + proton + alpha particle be correct?

No. Add up the charges on the right hand side; you now have too much. What is an alpha?

the alpha particle has 2+, and the carbon has 5+ no? Sorry if I'm being difficult.

Alpha decay is when a nucleus, obviously displeased with its present state splits into one helium (2 protons, 2 neutrons) and another nucleus that has two less protons and neutrons.

So in this case the reaction would look like this:

14/7N + 1/1H ---> 11/6C + 4/2He (15 = 15, amazing!)

Since a lonely proton = 1/1H (Hydrogen)

Thanks Tobbin, I look pretty stupid right now, but thanks for the clear explanation.

Nairmb said:
the alpha particle has 2+, and the carbon has 5+ no?
Correct for the alpha, but carbon has 6 protons, as you wrote in your earlier equations, not 5.

1. What is nuclear decay?

Nuclear decay, also known as radioactive decay, is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting radiation.

2. What causes nuclear decay?

Nuclear decay is caused by the instability of an atom's nucleus, which is determined by the ratio of neutrons to protons. Atoms with too many or too few neutrons compared to protons will undergo nuclear decay to achieve a more stable state.

3. What are the different types of nuclear decay?

The three main types of nuclear decay are alpha decay, beta decay, and gamma decay. Alpha decay involves the emission of an alpha particle, which is a helium nucleus. Beta decay involves the emission of a beta particle, which can be either an electron or a positron. Gamma decay involves the emission of a gamma ray, which is a high-energy photon.

4. What is the half-life of a radioactive element?

The half-life of a radioactive element is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to decay. It is a constant value for each element and can range from fractions of a second to billions of years.

5. How is nuclear decay used in scientific research and applications?

Nuclear decay is used in various scientific research and applications, including carbon dating to determine the age of organic materials, medical imaging techniques such as PET scans, and nuclear power generation. It is also used in nuclear medicine to treat certain medical conditions such as cancer.