Understanding operation of specific SMPS example (is it a flyback?)

In summary, the converter uses a sync detector to ensure that the output voltage is at the correct level. Shorting the sync pin will reduce the duty cycle and restore the output to its set value.
tim9000
I don't have much spear time at the moment, but I came across a SMPS diagram in this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/quick-question-about-inverter-tx-order-wrt-mains.870309/

And I was trying to figure it out, and I don't want to forget about it before I do. So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it's operation:
See Image>
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/attachments/f8-general-forum/4738d1363502150-power-quality-audio-systems-power-supplies-better-smps-schematic.png

-So if there was zero volts across the output conductor no light would be emitted from the optocoupler, then what would the IC do? (stop pulsing? Like it only pulses when there is an error voltage, like a hysteresis control?) Also, could you please elaborate on that little circuit, like what that zener diode is for, and the resistors and C205?
-So are C102 and LF101 specific to be at a resonant frequency LC circuit?
-So the top TX gets full rectified line voltage, but I'm a bit unclear on the feeding of the bottom TX (via the voltage division of SYNC?)?
...so the bottom supplied by pins 4 and 5? Isn't that the primary of the bottom of TX? So how much is SYNC? I assume it's in phase with something?
So how does the feedback pin work? What does shorting the pin via the opto or having a voltage across C105 make the IC do?

I looked up the IC. There's a block diagram for the converter here:
https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/FS/FSQ0565RQ.pdf
"Sync:
This pin is internally connected to the sync-detect comparator for quasi-resonant switch-
ing. In normal quasi-resonant operation, the threshold of the sync comparator is 1.2V/1." But I'm not really sure how it operates.Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
tim9000 said:
-So if there was zero volts across the output conductor no light would be emitted from the optocoupler, then what would the IC do? (stop pulsing? Like it only pulses when there is an error voltage, like a hysteresis control?)
It will depend on the past. If the circuit was just turn-on or we have a "short" on the output. In general case IC will increase the duty cycle to bring Vo to the "set" value.
Set by R204; R205

tim9000 said:
lso, could you please elaborate on that little circuit, like what that zener diode is for, and the resistors and C205?
IC201 is not a "zener diode". KA431 is much more then a ordinary Zener diode. It more like a op-amp with built-in reference voltage and output stage is open collector type, so it only can sink current.
http://www.righto.com/2014/05/reverse-engineering-tl431-most-common.html
In this circuit IC201 work as a error amplifier and this is why Vo = 1 + R204/R205 * Vref = 1 + 4k/4k * 2.5V = 2*2.5V = 5V.
When the output voltage Vo increases (load current decreasing), the sampling voltage obtained after the voltage division (R204,R205) is compared with the 2.5V reference voltage in IC201. And if this voltage is larger then 2.5V the IC201 it will start to conduct more (large current in sink by IC201). This will increase optocoupler LED and optotransistor current so the feedback pin voltage is pull down. And this will reduce the duty-cycle and Vo is bring back to its set value.

C205 and R203 are loop compensation network together with C105 and internal resistor.
tim9000 said:
So are C102 and LF101 specific to be at a resonant frequency LC circuit?
No, C102 and LF101 are the part of EMI input filter.
tim9000 said:
So the top TX gets full rectified line voltage, but I'm a bit unclear on the feeding of the bottom TX (via the voltage division of SYNC?)?
...so the bottom supplied by pins 4 and 5? Isn't that the primary of the bottom of TX? So how much is SYNC? I assume it's in phase with something?
So how does the feedback pin work? What does shorting the pin via the opto or having a voltage across C105 make the IC do?

I looked up the IC. There's a block diagram for the converter here:
https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/FS/FSQ0565RQ.pdf
"Sync:
This pin is internally connected to the sync-detect comparator for quasi-resonant switch-
ing. In normal quasi-resonant operation, the threshold of the sync comparator is 1.2V/1." But I'm not really sure how it operates.
https://www.fairchildsemi.com/application-notes/AN/AN-4150.pdf (page 2)
Or this

tim9000 said:
What does shorting the pin via the opto or having a voltage across C105 make the IC do?
See page 12 of datasheet, figure 24 and paragraph 2 immediately above.

1. How does a SMPS work?

A SMPS (Switched-Mode Power Supply) is a type of power supply that uses switching regulators to convert electrical power efficiently. It operates by rapidly switching a power semiconductor device on and off, which in turn controls the flow of energy to the load.

2. What is the difference between a flyback SMPS and other types of SMPS?

A flyback SMPS is a specific type of SMPS that uses a transformer to store and transfer energy. It differs from other types of SMPS, such as buck or boost converters, in that it uses a single inductor to both store and transfer energy, making it more compact and cost-effective.

3. How can I determine if a specific SMPS is a flyback?

The easiest way to determine if a specific SMPS is a flyback is to look for a transformer in the circuit. If there is a transformer present, it is most likely a flyback SMPS. Additionally, you can look for the presence of a flyback controller IC, which is specifically designed for use in flyback SMPS.

4. What are the advantages of using a flyback SMPS?

Flyback SMPS have several advantages, including high efficiency, compact size, and low cost. They also have a simple design and can operate at high frequencies, making them ideal for use in a wide range of electronic devices.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a flyback SMPS?

While flyback SMPS have many advantages, they also have some drawbacks. These include high voltage stress on components, potential for electromagnetic interference, and the need for careful design and layout to ensure proper operation. However, these drawbacks can be mitigated with proper design and implementation.