Understanding Optics: Exploring the Inverted Ray Diagram with 2 Lenses

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a 2 lens inverted ray diagram, specifically in the context of a standard telescope. The person seeking help is looking for someone to describe or provide an example of the diagram, and is referred to a lab manual for assistance. They also mention being stuck with the inverted question and are advised to do the ray diagram for the first lens and then use the intermediate image as the object for the second lens.
Larrytsai
I need some help with the 2 lens inverted ray diagram. Like i need someone to describe to me what it looks like or could show me an example of 1. thxn

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you explain further, perhaps with a drawing, of what you mean by 2 lens inverted ray diagram?

Mindscrape said:
Could you explain further, perhaps with a drawing, of what you mean by 2 lens inverted ray diagram?

uhmm well u have 2 biconvex lens like say 24 cm apart and then if you look through it everything is upside down but i don't know how to draw the ray diagram for it

Ah, the standard telescope. How do you think it is any different from any other situation? Instead of one lens to do the ray tracing for, you would encounter another lens. You know about the whole focus/parallel, parallel/focus bit, right?

This lab manual may be of help to you.
http://www-hep.colorado.edu/~stevew/O5-revised.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Mindscrape said:
Ah, the standard telescope. How do you think it is any different from any other situation? Instead of one lens to do the ray tracing for, you would encounter another lens. You know about the whole focus/parallel, parallel/focus bit, right?

This lab manual may be of help to you.
http://www-hep.colorado.edu/~stevew/O5-revised.pdf

oo this helps me quite a bit thnx. but I am still stuck with the inverted question. It states the telescope diagram which i needed to but not inverted diagram

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the ray diagram for the first lens.
Then use this intermediate image as your object for the second lens.
You need to look at the position of this lens, and work out what the rays do with different distances etc

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Optics: Exploring the Inverted Ray Diagram with 2 Lenses

1. What is the inverted ray diagram?

The inverted ray diagram is a graphical representation of how light behaves when it passes through two lenses. It shows the path of the light rays as they travel through the lenses and how they are refracted and focused to create an image.

2. How does the inverted ray diagram help us understand optics?

The inverted ray diagram allows us to visualize and analyze how light behaves when it passes through two lenses. It helps us understand how lenses refract light and how they can be used to create images. By studying the inverted ray diagram, we can better understand the principles of optics and how they apply to different optical systems.

3. What are the two lenses in the inverted ray diagram?

The two lenses in the inverted ray diagram represent different types of lenses, such as convex and concave lenses. These lenses have different shapes and refractive properties, which affect how light is bent and focused as it passes through them.

4. How does the distance between the lenses affect the inverted ray diagram?

The distance between the lenses in the inverted ray diagram can affect the size and position of the final image. Moving the lenses closer together or further apart can change the magnification and location of the image formed by the lenses.

5. Why is the inverted ray diagram important in optics?

The inverted ray diagram is important in optics because it helps us understand and analyze how light behaves when it passes through lenses. This knowledge is essential in designing and optimizing optical systems for various applications, such as cameras, telescopes, and microscopes.