Understanding Orbital Angular Momentum Coupling to Christoffel Connection

In summary, the article discusses the topological quantum numbers of Hall fluid on curved space and mentions that a spinning particle with orbital angular momentum on a manifold with Christoffel connection will acquire a phase similar to the Aharanov-Bohm effect. The Christoffel connection is necessary to define the direction of the angular momentum vector for a gyroscope-like particle moving along geodesics, and for accelerated motion, Fermi-Walker transport is used instead.
psi*psi
I am trying to understand Wen and Zee's article on topological quantum numbers of Hall fluid on curved space: https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.69.953

They passingly mentiond the fact that a spinning particle with orbital angular momentum $s$ moving on a manifold with Christoffel connection $\omega$ will acquire a Aharanov-Bohm like phase of $s \oint \omega$.

I can sort of see why the Christoffel connection will give rise to such a phase, since by analogy with the magnetic vector potential, the Christoffel connection will enter into the covariant derivative the same way as a magnetic vector potential. However, I do not understand why it would couple to the orbital angular momentum. I would really appreciate if someone could show me a derivation or point me to some references.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Christoffel connection tells you which vectors in two nearby tangent spaces are "the same". A spinning particle is a gyroscope and wants to keep its angular momentum vector pointing in the same direction as it moves from point P to a nearby point. So the Christoffel connection is needed in order to define what that means.

For particles moving along geodesics, the motion is inertial, so one can just use parallel transport (i.e., the Christoffel term). For accelerated motion, there are fictitious forces, and the appropriate thing to use is called Fermi-Walker transport. I'm sure if you look that up, you can find a derivation.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is orbital angular momentum coupling?

Orbital angular momentum coupling is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the way in which angular momentum is shared and distributed among different particles or systems. It is based on the idea that the total angular momentum of a system is conserved, so any changes in the angular momentum of one particle must be balanced by changes in the other particles.

2. How is orbital angular momentum coupling related to Christoffel connection?

Orbital angular momentum coupling is related to Christoffel connection through the concept of parallel transport. In physics, parallel transport is used to describe how vectors change direction when they are moved from one point to another in a curved space. Christoffel connection is a mathematical tool used to calculate parallel transport in curved spaces, and it is particularly useful in understanding orbital angular momentum coupling in quantum mechanics.

3. What are some practical applications of understanding orbital angular momentum coupling?

Understanding orbital angular momentum coupling has many practical applications in physics, particularly in fields such as quantum computing and quantum information processing. It is also important in the study of atomic and molecular systems, where it can help us understand the behavior and interactions of particles at a subatomic level.

4. How does orbital angular momentum coupling affect the behavior of particles?

Orbital angular momentum coupling plays a significant role in determining the energy levels and properties of particles. It affects the way particles interact with each other and their environment, and can also impact the stability and longevity of a particle's state. In some cases, it can even lead to the formation of new particles or systems with unique properties.

5. Are there any current research developments in the study of orbital angular momentum coupling?

Yes, there is ongoing research and development in the study of orbital angular momentum coupling. Scientists are constantly exploring new ways to manipulate and control the distribution of angular momentum in particles and systems, which has potential applications in areas such as quantum computing and telecommunications. There is also ongoing research into the connections between orbital angular momentum coupling and other fundamental concepts in physics, such as spin and entanglement.