Understanding Orthogonality: QM Lectures by Dr. Physics A

In summary, John Thompson explains that orthogonality is a property of vectors in a Hilbert space, and two vectors are orthogonal if their inner product is zero. He warns that if you are not familiar with linear algebra, you may not be able to visualize orthogonality.
john t
I need to understand orthogonality. I am monitoring QM lectures by Dr. Physics A, and he said all basis states of a state are orthogonal. I can understand that for the topics like polarization or spin, where Cartesian coordinates obtain with reference to measurements in one of 3 perpendicular-to-each-other axes, but then he gets into the linear position operator. Every point on the line is a basis state, and their number is infinite. I understand that if a particle is at one point it is definitely not at another, so that seems to fullfill a criterion for orthogonallity, but how can they be orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other? I cannot picture it.

John Thompson

Physics news on Phys.org
The Cartesian coordinates in normal three-dimensional space are completely unrelated to the orthogonality of basis states, because that's not the "space" being spanned by these basis states. This is true even in the case of spin; the two "orthogonal" states are spin-up and spin-down, and they correspond to measurements along the same axis but 180 degrees apart, not the 90 degrees that geometric orthogonality requires.

Instead, the states are vectors in a type of abstract vector space called a Hilbert space (wikipedia and wolfram mathworld both have good definitions of "vector space" and "Hilbert space"). Two vectors are orthogonal if their inner product is zero.

In the case of the position operator, the inner product of the two vectors corresponding to the two states "the particle has a 100% probability of being found at position ##x_1##" and "the particle has a 100% probability of being found at position ##x_2##" is zero unless ##x_1=x_2##, so they're orthogonal vectors in the Hilbert space of "all possible states of the position of the particle".

But some notes and warnings:
0) If you are serious about understanding QM, you will want to quit with the videos and spend some quality time with a decent first-year QM textbook. There are some recommendations in our "books" section.
1) You will need a working understanding of linear algebra. If you can look at the wikipedia and wolfram mathworld explanations of a vector space and think "It's not that complicated. Why are they making it look so hard?" you're there.
2) The position operator brings along some additional mathematical complexities that many/most introductory treatments gloss over and that I have completely ignored in the answer above. It takes some additional machinery (the "rigged Hilbert space") to fit the basis vectors of the position operators into the formalism properly. Don't worry about this until you have to.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Vectors and orthogonality, like many concepts in mathematics, get generalised way beyond the initial, intuitive definition.

The simplest vectors are 2-3D real vectors and orthogonality is easily visualised. Functions, however, also have the properties of vectors, including orthogonality, but this is more abstract and algebraic. You have to trust the maths and in many cases make do without an obvious visualisation.

Thank you both for taking the time to clarify this for me. Nugatory's explanation led me to Wikipedia. Although I am familiars with linear algebra (matrix manipulation, properties of vector space, etc.) I am afraid Hilbert space requires more math education than I have. I will just recognize that in QM inner product being zero implies orthogonaliy and vice versa.

jct

What is orthogonality?

Orthogonality refers to the mathematical concept of perpendicularity, where two lines or vectors are at right angles to each other. In quantum mechanics, orthogonality is used to describe the relationship between different quantum states.

How is orthogonality used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, orthogonality is used to describe the relationship between different quantum states. This means that two quantum states are considered orthogonal if they have a dot product of zero, indicating that they are completely independent of each other.

Why is orthogonality important in quantum mechanics?

Orthogonality is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to describe and understand the behavior of particles and systems at the quantum level. It also plays a crucial role in the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics and is used in calculations and predictions of quantum phenomena.

What is the relationship between orthogonality and superposition in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, superposition refers to the state of a system being in multiple quantum states at the same time. Orthogonality plays a role in this concept, as only orthogonal states can exist simultaneously in a superposition. This means that if two states are not orthogonal, they cannot exist in a superposition together.

Can you give an example of orthogonality in quantum mechanics?

One example of orthogonality in quantum mechanics is the spin states of an electron. An electron can have a spin of either "up" or "down", and these spin states are orthogonal to each other. This means that an electron cannot exist in both spin states at the same time, but it can exist in a superposition of these states.