Understanding Oscillation Frequencies and Mass Ratios in Elastic Systems

• Thread starter name_ask17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elasticity
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with understanding equations that have two sides and how to adjust one side when the other is changed. An example is given of an object attached to a spring and how the frequency of oscillation changes when the mass is increased. The answer is found to be 1/2, but the person is struggling to understand the reasoning behind it. They ask for help but then realize they understand the concept now.
name_ask17

Homework Statement

Ok. here's the deal. since i have started physics, i have been having problems with this concept. when you have an equation that has two sides to it, such as sqroot(F/m/l)=freq(wavelength) and they adjuct one side, how do you know what to do the other side?

For example, the question is "An object is attached to a spring and its frequency of oscillation is measured. Then another object is connected to the first object, and the resulting mass is four times the original value. By what factor is the frequency of oscillation changed?"- the answer is 1/2 but how?!
I keep getting these problems wrong on tests and it seems like everyone gets it except me! PLEASEEEEEE help :(

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind i think i get this noqw

Related to Understanding Oscillation Frequencies and Mass Ratios in Elastic Systems

1. What is elasticity?

Elasticity is the property of a material to return to its original shape after being deformed by a force. It is the ability of a material to resist deformation and return to its original state once the force is removed.

2. How is elasticity measured?

Elasticity is typically measured by the ratio of stress to strain, known as the Young's modulus. This is a measure of how much a material will deform under a given stress.

3. What are the different types of oscillations?

The two main types of oscillations are simple harmonic motion and damped oscillations. Simple harmonic motion occurs when a restoring force is proportional to the displacement of an object, while damped oscillations occur when there is a dissipative force acting on the object, causing it to eventually come to a stop.

4. How do oscillations relate to energy?

Oscillations involve the exchange of potential and kinetic energy. As an object moves back and forth, its kinetic energy is constantly changing into potential energy, and vice versa.

5. What factors affect the period of an oscillation?

The period of an oscillation is affected by the mass of the object, the amplitude of the oscillation, and the stiffness of the spring or medium causing the oscillation. The period also depends on the gravitational field strength and the air resistance acting on the object.