Understanding Osmotic Pressure: The Driving Force Behind Osmosis

In summary, osmosis is the process of water molecules moving from a high concentration to a low concentration, driven by the pressure difference between the two areas. This is different from diffusion, which is the movement of molecules from an area of high concentration to low concentration. Osmotic pressure, which can be measured by applying hydrostatic pressure to stop osmosis, is the driving force behind osmosis. The rate of osmosis follows Poiseuille's law, which is proportional to the radius of the tube, while diffusion is proportional to the radius squared. This explains how osmosis is driven by pressure differences, but it is still unclear how these differences arise from varying solute concentrations. The textbook mentioned in the conversation
FysicsPhorums
I'm reading about osmosis, and the textbook I'm reading states "osmosis of water is not diffusion of water: osmosis occurs because of a pressure difference" and then goes on to state that osmotic pressure is the driving force of osmosis.

I had previously just understood osmosis to be the diffusion of water molecules (going from high concentrations of water to low concentrations of water), so I'm confused how osmosis can occur without diffusion of water? Also, although I understand that osmotic pressure can be measured by applying hydrostatic pressure to stop osmosis from occurring, I'm still not making the connection between pressure differences and solute concentrations.

Could someone help explain how osmosis is driven by osmotic pressure and not diffusion?

edit: I read in my textbook that the rate of osmosis follows Poiseuille's law, meaning it is proportional to r^4 (radius of the tube), whereas diffusion would be proportional to r^2. I think this justifies that it is due to pressure differences, but I'm still not clear on how those pressure differences arose from different solute concentrations.

PS. I tried reading the hyperphysics page on osmotic pressure, and it calls osmosis a "selective diffusion process driven by internal energy of the solvent molecules". I think this supports my original view, but I'm not sure...

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Your first understanding is the one we have always taught. What textbook did this come from? It seems like obfuscation to me.

1. What is the difference between osmotic pressure and diffusion?

Osmotic pressure is the pressure exerted by a solution to prevent the influx of water molecules through a semi-permeable membrane. Diffusion, on the other hand, is the movement of molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. Both processes involve the movement of molecules, but osmotic pressure specifically refers to the movement of water molecules.

2. How do osmotic pressure and diffusion affect cellular processes?

Osmotic pressure and diffusion are essential for maintaining balance and regulating processes within cells. Osmotic pressure helps to regulate the movement of water and nutrients into and out of cells, while diffusion allows for the transport of molecules needed for cellular activities.

3. Can osmotic pressure and diffusion be influenced by external factors?

Yes, both osmotic pressure and diffusion can be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and concentration gradients. Changes in these factors can alter the rate and direction of osmosis and diffusion.

4. What is the relationship between osmotic pressure and concentration?

Osmotic pressure is directly proportional to the concentration of the solution. This means that the higher the concentration of solutes in a solution, the greater the osmotic pressure will be.

5. How do living organisms maintain osmotic pressure and diffusion in their cells?

Living organisms have mechanisms in place to regulate osmotic pressure and diffusion in their cells. Cells have semipermeable membranes that allow for the selective movement of molecules, and they also use processes such as active transport and facilitated diffusion to maintain a balance of solutes and water within the cell.