Understanding Output Changes with Sensitivity on SR830 Lock-In Amplifier

In summary, a SR830 lock in amplifier is an electronic instrument used in scientific and engineering research to measure and isolate small signals from a noisy background. It works by using synchronous detection to filter out noise and interference. Key features include a wide frequency range, high sensitivity and dynamic range, multiple input and output channels, and a user-friendly interface. When choosing a SR830 lock in amplifier, it is important to consider the frequency range and sensitivity required for the application, as well as consulting with experts and reading reviews. While primarily used for measuring small signals, it can also be used for other types of measurements such as impedance spectroscopy and frequency response analysis, but its specifications and capabilities should be carefully considered for these applications.
Andres kubliki
Does somebody knows why the output changes with the change of the sensitivity?

When I'm measuring noise, let say I have a value of 5nV/sqrt(Hz) at 10 nV sensitivity. When I switch to 20 nV, the output goes to 10nV/sqrt(Hz). Why?
Which on is them the correct?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just a guess might be that some of the noise signals are saturating the amplifier at 10nV sensitivity and don't get measured in their entirety at this level of sensitivity, but that is only a guess.

What is a SR830 lock in amplifier?

A SR830 lock in amplifier is a type of electronic instrument used in scientific and engineering research to measure and isolate a small signal from a noisy background. It is commonly used in fields such as optics, materials science, and biochemistry.

How does a SR830 lock in amplifier work?

The SR830 lock in amplifier works by using a technique called synchronous detection, which involves multiplying the input signal with a reference signal at a specific frequency. This creates a DC output signal that represents the amplitude and phase of the input signal at the reference frequency, effectively filtering out any noise or interference.

What are the key features of a SR830 lock in amplifier?

The key features of a SR830 lock in amplifier include a wide frequency range (up to 102.4 kHz), high sensitivity and dynamic range, multiple input and output channels, and a user-friendly interface with various display options.

How do I choose the right SR830 lock in amplifier for my application?

When choosing a SR830 lock in amplifier, it is important to consider factors such as the frequency range and sensitivity required for your application, as well as any additional features or accessories that may be necessary. It is also helpful to consult with an expert or read reviews from other scientists who have used the instrument for similar purposes.

Can a SR830 lock in amplifier be used for other types of measurements?

While the SR830 lock in amplifier is primarily used for measuring small signals in noisy environments, it can also be used for other types of measurements such as impedance spectroscopy, frequency response analysis, and time-resolved measurements. However, it is important to carefully consider the instrument's specifications and capabilities for these applications.