Understanding Penrose's large number

• I
  • Thread starter windy miller
  • Start date
In summary: Please do not continue to reply to old threads unless you have something new and worthwhile to contribute.
windy miller
Roger Penrose claims here:
http://epaper.kek.jp/e06/PAPERS/THESPA01.PDF
that the universe is very special to the degree 10^10^123
I understood this as measuring the probability of the entropy state was chosen at random what are the odds it would have been as low as we think it was at the big bang.
However someone else described it to me as representing the mass energy distribution of the universe at the big bang. This person does not seem like a reliable source to me but perhaps someone can confirm who is correct here.

Space news on Phys.org
windy miller said:
I understood this as measuring the probability of the entropy state was chosen at random what are the odds it would have been as low as we think it was at the big bang.

Sort of, yes. Penrose makes the argument in terms of phase space volumes; the number 10^10^123 is the ratio of the phase space volume corresponding to the macroscopic state of the universe today, to the phase space volume corresponding to the macroscopic state of the universe at the Big Bang. This ratio basically corresponds to the ratio of probabilities of ending up in a particular macroscopic state if you chose a microstate of the system at random.

windy miller said:
someone else described it to me as representing the mass energy distribution of the universe at the big bang.

This is just wrong, as far as I can see. The phase space of the universe doesn't just include the states of the matter and energy; it also includes the states of spacetime itself (the "gravitational field"). The fact that the latter has to be included is one of the key points underlying Penrose's arguments in the article.

Likes QuantumQuest and windy miller
Please anyone answer me
A: ##(10^{10})^{123}##
or
B: ##10^{(10^{123})}##

A has 1230 zeros
B has ...? I don't know :smile:

But what I want to know is A or B. It's sufficient for me.

Yes, A is the same as [itex]10^{1230}[/itex] so has 1230 "0"s. B, [itex]10^{(10^{123})}[/itex], has [itex]10^{123}[/itex] "0"s.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, A is the same as [itex]10^{1230}[/itex] so has 1230 "0"s. B, [itex]10^{(10^{123})}[/itex], has [itex]10^{123}[/itex] "0"s.
But what I want to know is this number 10^10^123
Is it
A: 10 with 1230 numbers
or
B: 10 with 10^123 numbers

Penrose means (B).

Stephanus said:
Is it
or
I think I was wrong
10^10^123 is not
A: 10 with 1230 numbers, but 1 with 1230 zeros
B: 10 with 10^123 numbers, but 1 with 10^123 zeros.
phyzguy said:
Penrose means (B).
Thanks.

Stephanus said:
Is it
or
You are asking whether exponentiation denoted with the caret ("^") symbol is left-associative or right-associative by convention. One answer is that it is only a convention. There is no physics content to the question. That said...

In the Ada programming language, the notation is simply illegal. Exponentiation in Ada is non-associative and parentheses must be used (a healthy attitude in my opinion).

Most other programming languages use right-associativity. So a^b^c is interpreted as a^(b^c). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associative_property has commentary that provides motivation for that convention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponentiation also indicates that right associativity (and top to bottom evaluation in the case of superscripts) is the standard convention but notes that Excel and Matlab choose to go with left associativity instead.

jbriggs444 said:
You are asking whether exponentiation denoted with the caret ("^") symbol is left-associative or right-associative by convention. One answer is that it is only a convention. There is no physics content to the question. That said...

In the Ada programming language, the notation is simply illegal. Exponentiation in Ada is non-associative and parentheses must be used (a healthy attitude in my opinion).

Most other programming languages use right-associativity. So a^b^c is interpreted as a^(b^c). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associative_property has commentary that provides motivation for that convention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponentiation also indicates that right associativity (and top to bottom evaluation in the case of superscripts) is the standard convention but notes that Excel and Matlab choose to go with left associativity instead.
Actually I'm not asking about association. I just want to understand the discussion in this thread.
But since you mention it. I've never thought of exponential association before.
I'm comfortable with
A/B/C -> (A/B)/C not A/(B/C)
or
A-B-C -> (A-B)-C not A-(B-C)
But who ever thought about say 10^10^10, while 10^100 itself is very big. Only some variable can hold this number. Double or Extended (in Pascal I think)
Extended can hold much bigger 10^3000 if I recall.
Thanks to bring it up anyway.

Lets do an example using smaller numbers with 2 and 6 for exponents
A) First (10^2)^6 = 100^6 = 1.0E+12

B) 10^(2^6)= 10^64 = 1.0E+64

I'd say B is much greater and that is what Penrose meant!

dkeys2001 said:
Lets do an example using smaller numbers with 2 and 6 for exponents
A) First (10^2)^6 = 100^6 = 1.0E+12

B) 10^(2^6)= 10^64 = 1.0E+64

I'd say B is much greater and that is what Penrose meant!

Note that this thread is over 2 years old.

1. What is Penrose's large number?

Penrose's large number, also known as the Penrose number or the Penrose-Hameroff Orch OR (Orchestrated Objective Reduction) number, is a theoretical number proposed by physicist Roger Penrose and anesthesiologist Stuart Hameroff as a measure of the amount of quantum entanglement in the human brain.

2. How is Penrose's large number calculated?

The calculation of Penrose's large number involves taking the number of particles in the universe (estimated to be 10^80) and multiplying it by the number of possible states or configurations that each particle can be in (estimated to be 10^123). This results in a number that is significantly larger than the total number of particles in the observable universe.

3. Why is Penrose's large number important?

Penrose's large number is important because it supports the theory of Orch OR, which suggests that consciousness is a result of quantum processes in the brain. The large number of possible states of particles in the brain is thought to allow for the emergence of conscious experience.

4. Is Penrose's large number proven?

No, Penrose's large number is a theoretical concept and has not been proven through empirical evidence. While there is some evidence to support the Orch OR theory, it is still a highly debated and controversial idea in the scientific community.

5. How does Penrose's large number relate to the human brain's processing power?

The large number of possible states or configurations of particles in the human brain, as represented by Penrose's large number, is thought to give the brain a processing power that is far beyond what can be achieved by classical computers. This is because quantum processes allow for a greater range of possible outcomes and faster processing speeds compared to classical computing.