Understanding Planewaves Bouncing Parallel Plates (Waveguide)

In summary, the conversation is about understanding a diagram in a book that explains how waves propagate in a waveguide. The cutoff frequency is mentioned, and the concept of waves being 'in phase' is discussed. The attached picture shows how waves can become out of phase if the angle is not correct. The person asking for clarification notes that there is no wavefront traveling in the direction of the downward ray. The expert explains that for guided modes to travel in a waveguide, there must be two reflections off the bottom surface that are in phase. The reflection off the top surface has been removed from the diagram.
fred3142
Hi,

I'm rather confused as to how this diagram in my book. I know that in order for a mode to propagate, a standing wave must be formed in the waveguide, and this happens above some cutoff frequency that one designs for. What I don't understand is, below cutoff, what happens? I don't understand what is meant by the waves must be 'in phase'. In phase with what? The picture I've attached is meant to show how out of phase waves are created if the angle is not correct; however, I don't at all see what created these out of phase waves. I also don't understand why there isn't a wavefront traveling in the direction of the ray pointing downwards.

My guess is that when the waves reflect (and go in the direction of the downward ray), they need to be in-phase with the waves moving in the direction of the upward point ray so that they don't destructively interfere.

If anyone could shed some light on this, that would be great.

Thank you.

Attachments

• waveguide.png
    waveguide.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 518
Physics news on Phys.org
Your guess is close. Note there are two reflections off the bottom surface - for a guided mode to travel, then these reflections must be in phase. If they are not, then they will attenuate.

The reflection off the top surface has been removed, presumably for brevity.

Claude.

1. What is a waveguide?

A waveguide is a type of transmission line used to guide and control electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves, microwaves, or light. It consists of a hollow metal tube or channel that allows the waves to travel from one point to another with minimal loss of energy.

2. How do parallel plates create a waveguide?

Parallel plates can create a waveguide when placed close together and in a parallel alignment. This configuration creates a confined space between the plates where electromagnetic waves can travel and bounce back and forth, resembling a "waveguide".

3. What is the significance of understanding planewaves bouncing in parallel plates?

Understanding planewaves bouncing in parallel plates is important in the study of waveguides and their applications in various fields such as telecommunications, radar systems, and microwave engineering. It allows for the analysis and design of efficient and effective waveguide structures.

4. How do planewaves behave in a waveguide created by parallel plates?

Planewaves in a waveguide created by parallel plates behave as standing waves, bouncing back and forth between the plates. This results in resonant frequencies and modes of propagation within the waveguide, which can be manipulated and controlled for specific applications.

5. What are some real-life examples of waveguides created by parallel plates?

Waveguides created by parallel plates can be found in various devices and systems, such as coaxial cables, microwave ovens, satellite communication systems, and fiber optic cables. They are also used in laboratory experiments and research studies to study the behavior of electromagnetic waves.