Understanding Pressure: One Atmosphere and Mercury Column Height Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between one atmosphere and 760 mm-Hg and the question of what is the height of a column of mercury supported by one atmosphere of pressure. The participants also define "mm-Hg" as millimeters of mercury. The conclusion is that assuming the top of the mercury column is closed, the answer to the question is 760 mm-Hg.
JWHooper
I already know that one atmosphere equals to 760 mm-Hg. But, I don't get the following question:
Q. What is the height of a column of mercury supported by one atmosphere of pressure?
Although this is homework question, I want an quick answer, I already know that 1 atm = 760 mm-Hg, but what is "height of a column" definition?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think "mm-Hg" means?

Doc Al said:
What do you think "mm-Hg" means?
I think it means millimeters per mercury. So, is the answer 760 mm-Hg correct?

JWHooper said:
I think it means millimeters per mercury.
It means millimeters of mercury.
So, is the answer 760 mm-Hg correct?
Assuming the top of the mercury column is closed (and empty), the answer would be 760 mm.

Oh okay. Thanks for the help!

Related to Understanding Pressure: One Atmosphere and Mercury Column Height Explained

What is pressure?

Pressure is the force exerted on a surface per unit area. It is typically measured in units of pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

What is one atmosphere of pressure?

One atmosphere of pressure is the amount of pressure exerted by the weight of the Earth's atmosphere at sea level. It is equivalent to approximately 101,325 Pa or 14.7 psi.

How does pressure change with altitude?

As altitude increases, the amount of atmosphere above a given point decreases, resulting in a decrease in pressure. This is because there is less air above to exert downward force.

What is the relationship between pressure and volume?

According to Boyle's Law, there is an inverse relationship between pressure and volume. This means that as pressure increases, volume decreases, and vice versa, as long as temperature remains constant.

How is pressure measured using a mercury column?

A mercury column barometer measures pressure by balancing the weight of a column of mercury with the pressure of the atmosphere. The height of the mercury column is directly proportional to the atmospheric pressure, with higher pressure resulting in a taller column.