Understanding Reverse Osmosis Water Filters: Fact or Fiction?

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of reverse osmosis and its effectiveness in filtering water. The process involves using a semi-permeable membrane under high pressure to filter out impurities, while still allowing useful substances to pass through. The effectiveness of the filter depends on the nature of the membrane used.
chell
HI, this is the first time I have posted on this site.

I know very little about physics, so am not sure if this is ok to post here, but I wondered if anyone could tell me if reverse osmosis is a true phenomena and whether reverse osmosis water filters (which you can buy and fit to your taps at home) actually work? If so do you know exactly what it filters out? I presume heavy metals and things which are suppposed to be bad for us? What about minerals and the good things that are in water?

Many thanks

Chell

Physics news on Phys.org
Reverse osmosis takes place at a pressure greater than osmotic pressure. A SPM(semi-permeable membrane) is required.
What gets pass the membrane gets filtered out of the water and this depends on the nature of the SPM. That is, different materials used as SPM allows different substances to pass and block others. Therefore, in water purifiers, the SPM is taken that only filters inpurities and not useful substances

Thank you for your quick reply!

So does that mean that that the molecules for the bad stuff are bigger than that of minerals and good stuff and therefore cannot pass through? Otherwise how does the SPM differentiate between the two groups?

Yes. It's just a very fine strainer working under quite high pressure.

thanks.

What is reverse osmosis and how does it work?

Reverse osmosis is a water purification process that removes contaminants from water by using pressure to force the water molecules through a semipermeable membrane. This membrane blocks larger molecules, ions, and impurities, producing clean and filtered water.

What are the benefits of using reverse osmosis?

Reverse osmosis is an effective method for purifying water and has numerous benefits, such as removing harmful contaminants, improving the taste and odor of water, and reducing the risk of waterborne diseases.

How do I choose the right reverse osmosis system for my needs?

The right reverse osmosis system depends on your specific needs, such as the amount of water you need to filter and the contaminants you want to remove. It's important to do research and consult with a water treatment expert to determine the best system for your situation.

What maintenance is required for a reverse osmosis system?

Maintenance for a reverse osmosis system typically involves changing the filters and membranes regularly to ensure the system continues to function properly. It's also important to regularly clean and sanitize the system to prevent bacterial growth.

Can reverse osmosis remove all contaminants from water?

While reverse osmosis is effective in removing many contaminants, it may not remove all of them. Some contaminants, such as volatile organic compounds, may require additional treatment methods. It's important to have your water tested to determine the specific contaminants present and the most effective treatment method.