Understanding Shear Modulus: How It Defines Fluid Properties

In summary, the conversation is about the question of which modulus defines a property of fluids. The suggested answer is the shear modulus, but the speaker believes it should be the bulk modulus. They discuss how the flow of fluids is related to the shear modulus, but the question is vague. The speaker compares it to the question of what electrical material property defines a superconductor, which is the conductivity or resistivity. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing confusion about how fluid flow can be compared to elasticity.
Sudarsan
Which modulus define a property of fluids??

The above mentioned question was asked in my college internals. The answer they suggested was sheer modulus.
Any explanations??

Physics news on Phys.org
I would have been more inclined to say the bulk modulus that describes compressibility.

Dr.D said:
I would have been more inclined to say the bulk modulus that describes compressibility.
That was my answer, but they didn't accept it..

Oh, well, what can I say?

Dr.D said:
Oh, well, what can I say?
They said flow of fluids related to sheer modulus. I can't understand even a single bit of that, I don't know how flow of fluids can be compared with Elasticity

Fluids have zero shear modulus, so fluid flow can be driven by an arbitrarily small shear stress. In this way, the shear modulus (or lack thereof) does define fluids, and the flow of fluids is indeed "related" to the shear modulus. But the question is vague. The bulk compressibility also characterizes the mechanical response of fluids, of course.

An analogous question might be: What electrical material property defines a superconductor? Answer: The conductivity (infinite) or resistivity (zero).

Likes Sudarsan
Sudarsan said:
They said flow of fluids related to sheer modulus. I can't understand even a single bit of that, I don't know how flow of fluids can be compared with Elasticity
It's a stupid question, but I would have answered viscosity (which describes the shear-stress/shear-rate behavior of fluids.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is shear modulus and why is it important in understanding fluid properties?

Shear modulus, also known as the modulus of rigidity, is a measure of a material's resistance to deformation caused by shear stress. In the context of fluid properties, shear modulus plays a crucial role in characterizing a fluid's ability to resist flow and deformation under stress.

2. How is shear modulus related to viscosity?

Shear modulus and viscosity are closely related, as both parameters are measures of a fluid's resistance to flow. The higher the shear modulus, the higher the viscosity and the more resistant the fluid is to deformation. In other words, a fluid with a high shear modulus will have a higher viscosity and will flow more slowly than a fluid with a lower shear modulus.

3. How is shear modulus measured?

Shear modulus is typically measured using a device called a rheometer, which applies a controlled force to a fluid sample and measures the resulting deformation. The shear modulus is then calculated by dividing the applied force by the amount of deformation. It can also be calculated indirectly using other fluid properties, such as viscosity and density.

4. What factors can affect the shear modulus of a fluid?

The shear modulus of a fluid can be influenced by a variety of factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities or additives. In general, increasing temperature and pressure can decrease the shear modulus, making the fluid more fluid-like and less resistant to flow. Additives or impurities can also alter the fluid's molecular structure and affect its shear modulus.

5. How does shear modulus differ from bulk modulus and Young's modulus?

Shear modulus, bulk modulus, and Young's modulus are all measures of a material's elasticity, but they describe different types of deformation. Shear modulus specifically measures a material's resistance to shear stress, while bulk modulus measures its resistance to uniform compression and Young's modulus measures its resistance to uniform tension. In other words, shear modulus is relevant for understanding fluid properties, while bulk modulus and Young's modulus are more commonly used for solid materials.