Experimental Shear Modulus and Poisson Ratio

In summary, to determine the shear modulus and Poisson ratio experimentally, a torsion test and a uniaxial compression test can be performed using specific specimen shapes and measuring equipment. These tests will provide the necessary data for defining the material accurately in Inventor.
Illgresi
I'm designing a 'thing' for my masters project, which has to be 3D printed. I've designed this in Inventor, but it doesn't have PLA (Polylactic Acid), so I've been using Inventor's PMMA (Perspex) thus far. I want to get more accurate figures, so I've had a 1 cm3 block printed to get an exact density. I'm also printing tensile test specimens so we can get a Young's modulus.

To properly define the material, Inventor needs a shear modulus and the Poisson ration.

In our course we've never determined these experimentally.

So my question is, how do I determine the shear modulus and Poisson ration experimentally?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The shear modulus and Poisson ratio can be determined experimentally by performing a torsion test and a uniaxial compression test.For the torsion test, you'll need to use a specimen that is cylindrical in shape, with a uniform cross-section throughout its length. The specimen should be mounted between two torque transducers, and then subjected to a series of increasing torques. The torque-twist relationship should then be plotted to determine the shear modulus.For the uniaxial compression test, you'll need to use a specimen that is rectangular in shape, with a uniform cross-section throughout its length. The specimen should be mounted between two force transducers, and then subjected to a series of increasing loads. The load-deformation relationship should then be plotted to determine the Poisson ratio.

What is the experimental shear modulus?

The experimental shear modulus is a measure of a material's resistance to shear stress. It is a measure of how much force is needed to deform a material in a parallel direction to its surface.

How is the experimental shear modulus measured?

The experimental shear modulus is typically measured using a torsion test, where a cylindrical sample of the material is twisted and the resulting shear stress and strain are measured. The shear modulus is then calculated using Hooke's law: shear modulus = shear stress / shear strain.

What factors can affect the experimental shear modulus?

The experimental shear modulus can be affected by various factors such as temperature, strain rate, and microstructure of the material. It can also be influenced by external forces such as pressure and humidity.

What is the significance of the experimental shear modulus?

The experimental shear modulus is an important mechanical property that helps in understanding the behavior of materials under shear stress. It is used in the design and testing of various structures and can also provide insights into the structural integrity of materials.

How is the experimental shear modulus related to Poisson ratio?

The experimental shear modulus and Poisson ratio are related through the equation: shear modulus = 2 * (1 + Poisson ratio) * Young's modulus / (3 + Poisson ratio). This relationship shows that the shear modulus and Poisson ratio are interdependent and can provide valuable information about a material's mechanical properties.