Understanding Steel Strength: How Does Steel Fail?

In summary, the part will bend then return to its original form, but if the load is applied for an extended period, metal fatigue may occur.
pete
I have a question about the nature of steel. As I understand it to measure the bending strength of a rod of steel there is the yield strength and the tensile strength. On a plotted line for the elastic modulus there is the elastic part to start. Anywhere on this part of the graph a load can be applied and the rod will deform a corresponding amount but return to it’s original position afterwards. After a certain amount of weight or force you hit the yield strength and the rod will no longer return to it’s original shape. There are some other ways to measure the strength of the rod but my question only refers, I think, to these two.
I have a stainless steel part, a 300 or possibly a 400 if needed and a load is being applied that is well below it’s yield strength. So every time the mechanism is activated the steel part transfers the load as it should. Under load it will bend a tiny amount then return to its original form. So according to this all I need to do is make it large enough to have it’s yield point above the force applied and it’ll work forever, but what if that force is applied for extend periods, like over night or repeatedly at a high frequency for years? If it’s below the yield point dose it make no difference? Or is there an accumulative strain that will eventually leave the part misshapen.
The force involved is pretty low, the part is 12mm by 10mm with a bolt being tightened by hand no more than 30mm from the fulcrum on the longest side. The part moves about 1mm then is braced but the space is tight and if the part was to bend over time about 2-3mm it would mean it no longer worked. This description isn't really really needed for the question but if it paints a picture maybe it’ll help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert but you might need to read up on creep. I believe this is permanent deformation at below the yield point over time?

If your load is well below the yield point, and at normal temperatures, then creep will not happen. Creep is normally a problem at high temperatures, such as in turbine blades.

A ductile metal part can fail when it is repeatedly loaded to below its yield point. This is called metal fatigue. Metal fatigue is an entire subject of its own, but if your repetitive load is less than about half the yield point, you should be good.

Likes CWatters
Normal temps. I will read up on fatigue but for now less than half the yeild point puts my mind to rest. Thanks for the advice guys.

1. What is steel strength and why is it important?

Steel strength refers to the ability of a steel material to resist deformation or failure under applied stress. It is an important property because it determines the structural integrity and durability of steel in various applications, such as buildings, bridges, and machinery.

2. How is steel strength measured?

Steel strength is typically measured using tensile testing, which involves applying a gradually increasing force to a steel sample until it breaks. The maximum force that the steel can withstand before breaking is known as the tensile strength.

3. What factors affect steel strength?

Several factors can affect the strength of steel, including its chemical composition, heat treatment, and the presence of impurities or defects. The grain size and orientation of the steel also play a role in its strength.

4. How does steel fail?

Steel can fail in several ways, including yielding, fracture, and fatigue. Yielding occurs when the steel reaches its maximum stress level and begins to deform plastically. Fracture happens when the applied force exceeds the strength of the steel, causing it to break. Fatigue occurs when the steel is subjected to repeated stress cycles, leading to cracks and failure over time.

5. How can steel strength be improved?

Steel strength can be improved through various methods, such as alloying, heat treatment, and cold working. By adjusting the chemical composition and microstructure of the steel, its strength and other mechanical properties can be enhanced to meet specific application requirements.