What is the formula for calculating steel rod bending in a mouse trap?

In summary, the force sensor on the mouse trap reads about 7.5 N but it feels like a lot more than that. The rod has a diametre of 1.5mm and is 60mm in length. The material is steel.
May
Sorry this isn't really intro to physics, it's high school physics...

I'm investigating the force vs angle of a mouse trap and I need to talk about the uncertainties one thing is that the lever (hammer/arm/part that hits the mouse) bends. So the angle isn't very accurate. What formula do I use to work out how much the steel bends? The rod has a diametre of 1.5mm and is 60mm in length. The material is steel... the steel they use in mouse traps (that's all I know).

Sorry if this is a really simple question, please go easy on me, simple words would be appreciated

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm, is there enough force applied to to the steel part to bend it? Have you considered uncertainties in how much force is applied by different springs? Did you study hookes law? (They use springs right? I haven't seen that kind of mouse trap in decades.)

You'll need to know how much force there is before you can determine if the metal bends.

Here's a picture of it:
tumblr_nbifvxt6cZ1sbi3a0o1_500.jpg

The force sensor reads about 7.5 N but it feels like a lot more than that.

Would this type or spring use Hooke's law? I thought that was only for compression and stretch.

I'm only investigating one mouse trap and one spring. I just need to graph the angle vs force with the degree of uncertainty.

A bonus would be if I actually knew the formula for force of a torsion spring but that's too advanced for me (unless there's a simplified version I don't know about)

Thanks

So as far as I know, the trap should work by compressing the spring, which would mean that's hookes law would apply. You need to use the angular version in this case, though.

How are you guys actually calculating uncertainty? Are you using standard deviation/standard error calculations?

Here's what it says on the project sheet:
Sorry I couldn't be bothered typing it up

tumblr_nbihniERIM1sbi3a0o1_500.jpg

So uncertainties I have are that:
1. some energy is used to bend the rod (need to work out how much)
2. Angle is slightly off because the rod is bent (I might just give a rough estimate and be done with it)
2. the result on the force sensor fluctuates (+- 0.5 N)

It's very open ended "design your own prac" project so I don't really know what he wants or even what I'm looking for...

Anything I should consider or that I've got wrong please say

Thanks

What data are you taking in the lab and what data are you deriving?

Anyway it seems like the setup he has is each measurement has an uncertainty, use these uncertainties to calculate uncertainties in your calculated data. Not the "what physical mechanism is causing the uncertainty in the actual physical item." If that makes sense. So the bending and stuff wouldn't be needed, but you might include it in your discussion in your lab report.

Last edited:
Hmm ok, I agree that it'll be better to talk about it in the discussion but i don't understand what you mean about my uncertainties. I'm a bit confused, what uncertainties are you suggesting I factor in?

Thanks

For each measurement, like force. How uncertain, or precise, is the measurement from the gear you're using. Make several measurements and find out how much each measurement varies. This is your uncertainty. Then when you use your measured data to calculate your calculated data you can find those uncertainys as well.

If you want to play with some statistics, you can make several measurements then find the mean. Using the mean you can calculate the standard deviation, sigma. Then sigma over the number of measurements squared will give you the standard error. This is your +- and will tell you how many significant figures your data has.

Ok so the first paragraph was helpful thanks

I don't understand the second paragraph... what does sigma mean? but I'll figure it out.
Thanks so much :)

1. What is the bending formula for steel rod?

The bending formula for steel rod is a mathematical equation that calculates the amount of force required to bend a steel rod to a specific angle without breaking it. It is typically represented as F = M * S, where F is the force in pounds, M is the bending moment in inch-pounds, and S is the section modulus in inches.

2. How do I calculate the bending moment for a steel rod?

To calculate the bending moment for a steel rod, you will need to know the length of the rod, the amount of force being applied, and the point at which the force is being applied. The formula for bending moment is M = F * D, where M is the bending moment in inch-pounds, F is the force in pounds, and D is the distance from the point of force application to the end of the rod in inches.

3. What is the section modulus of a steel rod?

The section modulus of a steel rod is a measure of its resistance to bending. It is calculated by dividing the moment of inertia of the rod by the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost point of the rod. The higher the section modulus, the stronger the rod will be against bending forces.

4. How does the diameter of a steel rod affect its bending capacity?

The diameter of a steel rod plays a significant role in its bending capacity. A larger diameter rod will have a higher bending capacity, as it has a larger cross-sectional area and a higher section modulus. This means it can withstand greater forces without bending or breaking.

5. What factors can affect the bending capacity of a steel rod?

Several factors can affect the bending capacity of a steel rod, including its diameter, length, material properties, and the type and amount of force being applied. The shape and orientation of the rod can also impact its bending capacity. It is essential to consider all of these factors when designing and using steel rods for structural purposes.