Understanding Subspaces: Definition and Examples | PF Study Guide

• I
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a subspace and provides an example of the set of degree n polynomials being a subspace of continuous functions. The reasoning behind this is that polynomials are a subset of continuous functions and are closed under addition and scalar multiplication. The conversation also explores the idea of the set of discontinuous functions not being a subspace of all real functions due to issues with adding functions that are not defined at certain points. Suggestions are made to consider simpler examples or using a subset of polynomials to demonstrate this concept.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I want to make sure I understand the notion of a subspace. Our professor gave an example of one: the set of degree n polynomials is a subspace of continuous functions. This is because a) a polynomial is intrinsically a subset of continuous functions and b) summing any polynomials yields another polynomial (closed under addition) and c) any polynomial multiplied by a constant is still a polynomial (closed under scalar multiplication).

If my reasoning is correct, then I think the set of discontinuous functions is NOT a subset of all real functions. To see why, consider ##f(x) = 1## everywhere except non-existent at ##x=1##. Then take the function ##g(x)=1## when ##x=1## and non-existent everywhere else. Then the sum is clearly continuous. (How would this change though if I changed non-existent to zero? I know the result is the same, but is ##g(x)## as I have defined it even discontinuous--I realize this is a real analysis question.)

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
Hi PF!

I want to make sure I understand the notion of a subspace. Our professor gave an example of one: the set of degree n polynomials is a subspace of continuous functions. This is because a) a polynomial is intrinsically a subset of continuous functions and b) summing any polynomials yields another polynomial (closed under addition) and c) any polynomial multiplied by a constant is still a polynomial (closed under scalar multiplication).

If my reasoning is correct, then I think the set of discontinuous functions is NOT a subset of all real functions. To see why, consider ##f(x) = 1## everywhere except non-existent at ##x=1##. Then take the function ##g(x)=1## when ##x=1## and non-existent everywhere else. Then the sum is clearly continuous. (How would this change though if I changed non-existent to zero? I know the result is the same, but is ##g(x)## as I have defined it even discontinuous--I realize this is a real analysis question.)

You can't choose functions that are not defined at some point, as functions that have different domains can't be added so they don't form a vector space. The space of all real-valued functions would imply that they all all defined on some fixed domain.

Also, functions that are not defined at a point are not necessarily discontinuous. They may be continuous on their domain. A good example is the function ##1/x##, which is a continuous function on its domain.

Instead, you need to think of two genuinely discontinuous functions that can be added to form a contiuous function.

Or, perhaps you could think of a simpler example using a subset of the polynomials that does not form a subspace?

Likes member 428835
joshmccraney said:
Our professor gave an example of one: the set of degree n polynomials is a subspace of continuous functions.
I would say: "The set of polynomials of degree at most ##n##". (Here you regard the zero polynomial as having degree ##-\infty## or you should stipulate that this set includes the zero polynomial.)
joshmccraney said:
If my reasoning is correct, then I think the set of discontinuous functions is NOT a subset of all real functions.
You mean to say "subspace" instead of "subset"? In addition, I very much second the remarks made by PeroK. They appeared on my screen while I was writing this.
PeroK said:
Instead, you need to think of two genuinely discontinuous functions that can be added to form a contiuous function.
Or take a discontinuous function and multiply it by zero.

Likes member 428835
Thank you both for finessing my logic! I really appreciate both of your input!:biggrin:

Likes S.G. Janssens

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies all of the properties of a vector space. This means that it is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

2. How can I recognize a subspace?

To recognize a subspace, you need to check if it satisfies all of the properties of a vector space. This means that you need to check if it is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

3. Can a subspace be empty?

Yes, a subspace can be empty. If a subset of a vector space does not contain the zero vector, it cannot be a subspace. However, an empty set by definition contains the zero vector, so it can be considered a subspace.

4. What are some examples of subspaces?

Some examples of subspaces include the x-y plane in three-dimensional space, the set of all polynomials of degree 3 or less, and the set of all 2x2 matrices with real entries.

5. How are subspaces useful in linear algebra?

Subspaces are useful in linear algebra because they provide a way to analyze and manipulate vector spaces in a more manageable way. They allow us to break down complex vector spaces into smaller, more understandable subsets and apply linear algebra concepts to them. Subspaces also have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.