Understanding the 4-20mA Standard in Industrial Control Systems

• Thread starter etrader02
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generator
In summary: With 0-20mA we would need to use a higher input impedance to make the module work, which would create more problems than it would solve.
etrader02
Hi does anyone know of a simple circuit that i can build to generate a ma signal from 0 - 20ma ? using a 9v pp3 or similar

there does not need to be a digital indicator on the circuit as i will series the generator with a digital multimeter, i just need to be able to generate a ma signal that can be adjusted between 0 - 20ma.

can you help?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this for 20mA communication signals, or you just want to build an adjustable analog current source that you can set with a potentiometer? How accurate do you want it to be? What will the range of load impedance be?

berkeman said:
Is this for 20mA communication signals, or you just want to build an adjustable analog current source that you can set with a potentiometer? How accurate do you want it to be? What will the range of load impedance be?

yes i just want to build an adjustable analog current source to help in commisioning actuators/valves that i use at work. they operate on a 4 - 20ma signal, ocasionally we use 0 -20ma actuators/valves

the circuit impeadance is in the range of 350 ohms.

and yes as you say this would ideally be adjustable via a potentiometer

thanks

regards accuracy it needs to be able to go as low a zero ma but can far exceed 20ma afterall i will be monitoring the current flow by putting a multimeter in series.

Oh, this is 4-20mA signalling for a sensor application. Here are a couple primers on 4-20mA signalling, and an app note from Maxim on how to use one of their ICs for generating the 4-20mA signalling. If you still have questions, please post a follow-up.

http://www.processautomationcontrol.com/download/4-20mA-Current-Loop-Primer.pdf

http://www.sensorland.com/HowPage028.html

http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/an_pk/1064

Quiz Question -- why is 4-20mA signalling used, and not 0-20mA signalling?

berkeman said:
Presumably so you can detect a cable break?
Follow up question, why not using +/- 10mA instead. Or does 4-20 assume a chassis gnd like in car electronics?

berkeman said:

Interesting question. I think its in that range because we will always have at least 4mA (as our "zero") flowing in our circuit. We can use that very same (pair) of wires to power other electronic components. In this way be save on wire and the installation is easier.

Good answers. In skimming the links that I posted, I noticed that they mentioned the 4mA base current made open-circuit detection easy, as mgb_phys says. Not sure why they picked 4-20mA as the range, though.

"Not sure why they picked 4-20mA as the range, though."

Well I think it has to do with 250ohm being a standard input impedence for display and other modules giving a 1 to 5 volt input.

What is a 0-20ma generator?

A 0-20ma generator is a device that generates a current signal ranging from 0mA to 20mA. This type of generator is commonly used in industrial and scientific applications to simulate and control the flow of electrical current.

How does a 0-20ma generator work?

A 0-20ma generator works by converting a voltage input into a proportional current output. This is achieved through the use of electronic circuitry and components such as resistors and transistors. The generated current can then be used to control various devices and systems.

What are some common uses for a 0-20ma generator?

A 0-20ma generator is commonly used in industrial automation systems, process control systems, and scientific experiments. It can be used to control and monitor variables such as temperature, pressure, and flow rate.

How do I choose the right 0-20ma generator for my needs?

When choosing a 0-20ma generator, it is important to consider factors such as accuracy, precision, output range, and compatibility with your existing systems. It is also helpful to read reviews and compare specifications of different models to determine which one best suits your specific requirements.

What should I do if I need help with my 0-20ma generator?

If you need help with your 0-20ma generator, you can consult the user manual or contact the manufacturer for technical support. You can also seek assistance from other professionals in your field or online forums and communities. It is important to carefully follow instructions and safety precautions when using a 0-20ma generator to avoid any potential issues.