Understanding the basics of integration

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Spivak's book for learning calculus and how the author explains integrals and partitioning the area under the curve. The conversation also touches on the understanding that as the number of divisions in the partition increases, the lower sum and upper sum approach the same value, which represents the area under the curve. The individual asks for clarification and is reassured by the other person's response, who suggests looking into variations of the same explanation through searching for "Riemann sum" or "fundamental theorem of calculus." The conversation ends with a note of gratitude.
Mohankpvk
I tried learning calculus using the book by Spivak.In this text, while introducing integrals the author explained a lot about partitioning the area under the curve and defined the integral.The way I understood this is, as we increase the number of divisions in the partition the lower sum and the the up sum approach the same value and this value is the area under the curve.Am I understanding it right? Please explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are doing fine. 'Please explain' is a strange request: what exactly would you like explained on top of that explanation :biggrin: ?

Likes Mohankpvk
Sometimes it helps to study variations of the same explanation. Google 'Riemann sum' or 'fundamental theorem of calculus' to find lots of those.

Likes Mohankpvk
BvU said:
You are doing fine. 'Please explain' is a strange request: what exactly would you like explained on top of that explanation [emoji3] ?
Thank you.That meant a lot to me.

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. It is used to solve problems related to accumulation, such as finding the total distance traveled by an object or the total amount of a substance produced over time.

2. What are the two types of integration?

The two types of integration are definite and indefinite. Definite integration involves finding the exact value of the area under a curve between two given points, while indefinite integration involves finding the general form of the antiderivative of a function.

3. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that integration and differentiation are inverse operations of each other. This means that if we integrate a function and then differentiate the result, we will get back the original function.

4. How do I solve an integration problem?

To solve an integration problem, you need to follow a set of steps. First, identify the type of integration (definite or indefinite) and the function to be integrated. Then, use integration rules and techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to find the antiderivative. Finally, evaluate the antiderivative at the given limits (for definite integration) or leave it in general form (for indefinite integration).

5. What are some real-world applications of integration?

Integration has many real-world applications, including calculating the area under a velocity-time graph to find the distance traveled by an object, finding the volume of irregular shapes in engineering and architecture, and determining the total revenue or profit of a company over time in economics and business.