Understanding the Beer-Lambert Law and Its Derivation

• I
  • Thread starter Carlos de Meo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beer
In summary: Hi GuysStudying some optical properties of materials and found this equation on CallisterT = I0*(1-R)2*(exp(-βx)Where T is transmission, R reflection, β the absorption coefficient and x the lenght.In the same chapter, the author says that this equation´s derivation is homeworkI tried to derive it but really can't understand why it is (1-R)2My attempt:I0= IR+IA+IT= I0*R +I0´*exp(-βx)+I0´*(1-exp(-βx))I0´=I0*(1-R)
Carlos de Meo
Hi Guys
Studying some optical properties of materials and found this equation on Callister
T = I0*(1-R)2*(exp(-βx)
Where T is transmission, R reflection, β the absorption coefficient and x the lenght.
In the same chapter, the author says that this equation´s derivation is homework
I tried to derive it but really can't understand why it is (1-R)2
My attempt:
I0= IR+IA+IT
= I0*R +I0´*exp(-βx)+I0´*(1-exp(-βx))
I0´=I0*(1-R)
Am i missing any variable here or forgetting some efect?

Physics news on Phys.org
Carlos de Meo said:
Hi Guys
Studying some optical properties of materials and found this equation on Callister
T = I0*(1-R)2*(exp(-βx)
Where T is transmission, R reflection, β the absorption coefficient and x the lenght.
In the same chapter, the author says that this equation´s derivation is homework
I tried to derive it but really can't understand why it is (1-R)2
My attempt:
I0= IR+IA+IT
= I0*R +I0´*exp(-βx)+I0´*(1-exp(-βx))
I0´=I0*(1-R)
Am i missing any variable here or forgetting some efect?
I think the answer is, it got into the material (transmission factor of ## (1-R) ## with fraction of energy ## R ## being reflected), and then it traverses the material with exponential attenuation with distance, and then a factor (=another factor) of ## (1-R) ## for the energy that gets out of the material. ## \\ ## It turns out, the energy reflection coefficient ## R ## is the same regardless of whether the reflection begins from outside the material or inside of it. ## R=(n_1-n_2)^2/(n_1+n_2)^2 ##. (The Fresnel reflection coefficient for the ## E ## field is ## \rho=E_r/E_i=(n_1-n_2)/(n_1+n_2) ## and intensity (energy) ## I=nE^2 ## (in units that the optics people use). The result is the energy reflection coefficient ## R=I_r/I_i=E_r ^2/E_i ^2=\rho^2=(n_1-n_2)^2/(n_1+n_2)^2 ## regardless of which order ## n_1 ## and ## n_2 ## become encountered.) ## \\ ## Additional item is that the problem assumes that no surface absorption occurs. Any absorption is a loss that occurs as the light beam traverses the material. It also makes the approximation that the contribution of transmitted beam resulting from multiple reflections is minimal. And it doesn't address at all the coherent case of multiple reflections that can occur where the surfaces are extremely parallel in which case a wavelength dependent interference can occur with the multiple reflections that is known as the Fabry-Perot effect.

Last edited:
Likes Carlos de Meo
But doing the calculations and adding now the second reflection at the second interface, i still don´t get how Callister made the (1-R)2. Now i get a value of (1-R)/(1+R) instead of the value above

Carlos de Meo said:
But doing the calculations and adding now the second reflection at the second interface, i still don´t get how Callister made the (1-R)2. Now i get a value of (1-R)/(1+R) instead of the value above
Energy transmission factor ## T=1-R ##. The material is considered to be a dielectric slab, perhaps 1" thick. You get one factor of ## T ## as you enter the surface, (you lose a factor ## R ## ), and one factor ## T ## as it exits on the other side. Dielectric interfaces always cause partial reflections (and partial transmissions) as the light enters a new material=e.g. a glass air interface. When you pass the critical angle you can get total internal (100%) reflection, but that won't occur with parallel faces. Also, at the Brewster angle for parallel polarization there is 100% transmission, but otherwise, in general, dielectric interfaces cause partial transmissions and partial reflections. How did you get a ## 1/(1+R) ##?. This one is really quite simple=it's simply a second (multiplying) factor of ## T=1-R ##. The attenuation factor, ## e^{-\alpha x} ## is a transmission factor as well even though it is (loosely) called an attenuation factor. These factors are multiplied together. They do not add together. You multiply the 3 energy transmission factors to get the resulting energy transmission.

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link

What is the Beer-Lambert Law?

The Beer-Lambert Law is a mathematical equation that relates the absorbance of a substance to its concentration, path length, and molar absorptivity. It is commonly used in spectrophotometry to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution.

What is the significance of the Beer-Lambert Law?

The Beer-Lambert Law is important because it allows scientists to quantitatively determine the concentration of a substance in a solution by measuring its absorbance. This is especially useful in fields such as chemistry, biochemistry, and environmental science.

Who were Beer and Lambert?

August Beer and Johann Heinrich Lambert were two scientists who independently discovered the relationship between absorbance and concentration in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Their work laid the foundation for the Beer-Lambert Law.

What is the role of Lavousier in the Beer-Lambert Law?

Antoine-Laurent de Lavoisier was a French chemist who is credited with laying the foundations of modern chemistry. While he did not directly contribute to the Beer-Lambert Law, his work on the conservation of mass and the law of definite proportions helped to establish the concept of quantitative measurements in chemistry, which is essential to the Beer-Lambert Law.

What are some limitations of the Beer-Lambert Law?

The Beer-Lambert Law has a few limitations, including the assumption that the absorbance is directly proportional to the concentration over a wide range, and that the path length and molar absorptivity remain constant. In reality, these assumptions may not always hold true and can lead to inaccurate results. Additionally, the Beer-Lambert Law only applies to solutions, and not all substances can be measured using spectrophotometry.