Understanding the Chain Rule in Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the chain rule to find the derivative of a function in cylindrical coordinates. The process involves using the transformation equations to find the partial derivatives with respect to x, and then substituting them into the chain rule formula. The passage was initially difficult to understand due to a misunderstanding of the chain rule, but it was clarified by the experts in the conversation.
ViktigLemma
I find this passage [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} = \cos(\phi)\frac{\partial}{\partial \rho } - \frac{\sin(\phi)}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi} [/tex] difficult to understand.

My teacher wrote this as an explanation:

[tex] \frac{\partial V}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial\rho}{\partial x}\frac{\partial V}{\partial \rho} + \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}\frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\frac{\partial V}{\partial z} [/tex] *

And then inserting for [tex] \rho [/tex] and [tex] \phi [/tex], which will yield a correct result.

What I don't understand is how * can be correct? To me it seems that the right side of the equation is equal to [tex] 3\frac{\partial V}{\partial x} [/tex]

Please enlighten me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There, I fixed it :)

Could you tell us WHY you think there should be a "3" in that?

[tex] \frac{\partial V}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial\rho}{\partial x}\frac{\partial V}{\partial \rho} + \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}\frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\frac{\partial V}{\partial z} [/tex]
is simply the chain rule!
That would be 3 times dV/dx only if all those were equal to dV/dx separately and they are not!

Take a simple example. Suppose V(u,w)= u2+ 2w2 and
that u= 3x-1, v= 2x+3.
One way of finding dV/dx would be to substitute. V(x)= (3x-1)2+ 2(2x+3)2= 9x2- 6x+ 1+ 2(4x2+ 12x+ 9)= 9x2- 6x+ 1+ 8x2+ 24x+ 18= 17x2+ 18x+ 19.

dV/dx= 34x- 30.

But a simpler way is to use the chain rule: [itex]\frac{dV}{dx}= \frac{dV}{du}\frac{du}{dx}+ \frac{dV}{dw}\frac{dw}{dx}[/itex]= 2u(3)+ 4w(2)= 6(3x-1)+ 8(2x-3)= 18x- 6+ 16x- 24= 34x- 30 just as before. dV/dx is that sum, not the individual parts.

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} = \cos(\phi)\frac{\partial}{\partial \rho } - \frac{\sin(\phi)}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi} [/tex]

I find this passage difficult to understand.

If you understand how chain rule works just as explained by HallsofIvy,

this is not so difficult.
Lets say [tex] V=V(\rho, \phi, z)[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial V}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial V}{\partial \rho}\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial x} +\frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi} \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial V}{\partial z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} [/tex]

Transformation from cylindrical to cartisian coordinates,
[tex] x= \rho cos \phi ,\\ y= \rho sin \phi ,\\ z= z [/tex]

[tex]\rho = \sqrt(x^2 +y^2)[/tex]

[tex]tan \phi = \frac{y}{x}[/tex]

From here,

[tex]\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial x}= \frac{x}{\rho}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}= \frac{-sin\phi}{\rho}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}= 0[/tex]

Substituting you get your result.

Thank you both very much! I was thinking in the wrong paths entirely. To explain:

What I figured, not being well versed in this kind of manipulation, was this:

[tex] \frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial V}{\partial x}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \phi} = \frac{\partial V}{\partial x} [/tex]

Because I remember doing something like that once.

Thanks again for your answers :)

[tex] \frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial V}{\partial x}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \phi} = \frac{\partial V}{\partial x} [/tex]

this is not valid in general, you can only do this in a very special case, i.e.

[tex] V = V(\phi(x)) [/tex]

Yes that's the chain rule doing its magic I guess :D

Related to Understanding the Chain Rule in Cylindrical Coordinates

What is the concept of cartesian to cylindrical transformation?

The cartesian to cylindrical transformation is a mathematical process used to convert coordinates from a cartesian coordinate system to a cylindrical coordinate system. This transformation involves converting the x, y, and z coordinates in a cartesian system to the radial distance, azimuthal angle, and height coordinates in a cylindrical system.

Why is the cartesian to cylindrical transformation important?

The cartesian to cylindrical transformation is important because it allows us to represent points in three-dimensional space in a different coordinate system. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

What are the equations for converting from cartesian to cylindrical coordinates?

The equations for converting from cartesian to cylindrical coordinates are:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = tan⁻¹(y/x)
z = z

What are the advantages of using cylindrical coordinates over cartesian coordinates?

One advantage of using cylindrical coordinates is that it simplifies certain calculations and equations in areas such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. It also allows for easier visualization of certain objects and systems, as well as making certain geometric problems easier to solve.

In what situations would you use cartesian to cylindrical transformation?

Cartesian to cylindrical transformation can be used in situations where cylindrical coordinates are more suitable for analysis or visualization. This includes problems involving cylindrical objects, cylindrical symmetry, and cylindrical coordinate systems in physics, engineering, and other sciences.