Understanding the Confusion Surrounding the Definition of a k-form

• Thread starter logarithmic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and usage of k-forms, which can refer to both a tensor field and a tensor. The context is important in determining the correct interpretation.
logarithmic
Can someone explain whether, by definition, a k-form is a tensor, or a tensor field.

In "Tensor Analysis on Manifolds" (Bishop and Goldberg), it says: "A differential k-form is a [tex]C^\infty[/tex] skew-symmetric covariant tensor field of degree k (type (0,k))" [note: 0 refers to the dual space, and k refers to the original space], would suggest a k-form is a function like [tex]T: M \to T^0_kM[/tex], where M is a manifold and [tex]T^0_kM[/tex] is the set of type (0,k) tensors.

However, a 1-form df, is a map of the form [tex]df: T_pM \to \mathbb{R}[/tex] ([tex] T_pM[/tex] is the tangent space of M at p), which isn't what the above definition gives. It's consistent with the definition on wikipedia, which treats k-forms as tensors rather than tensor fields: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_form#Intrinsic_definitions

Adding to my confusion is some notes I have which says the space of k-forms at [tex]p\in M[/tex] is the vector space [tex]\Lambda^k(T_pM)[/tex], which is the set of functions [tex]T: (T_pM)^k \to \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Yet it says that k-form fields, are called k-forms. It also then in defining the pullback uses an expression [tex]\omega(V_1,\dots, V_k)[/tex], where the [tex]V_i[/tex] are vector fields. How can you apply a vector field to a k-form, when its domain is a point on a manifold (or k-tuple of elements from a tangent space, under the other definition)? Is this just loose notation to actually mean the value of the vector field, i.e., [tex]V_i(p)[/tex] for some p in M, which would actually be an element of the tangent space, instead of [tex]V_i[/tex]. In which case the definition of a k-form being a tensor, rather than a tensor field was used.

So can someone clear up all these conflicting usages and definitions of a k-form for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
You must be prepared that it can mean both. Being aware of that always look at the context. It is much like when we say: "let's calculate the derivative". It is from the context that you have to deduce whether it is about the derivative at a given point or the derivative as a function. Usually, when you are paying attention to the context, there is only one way in which a given reasoning makes sense.

Last edited:

What is a k-form?

A k-form is a mathematical object used in multivariable calculus and differential geometry to describe a quantity that varies at different points in space.

What does the "k" in k-form represent?

The "k" in k-form represents the number of variables or dimensions in the space where the form is defined. It is also known as the degree or order of the form.

How is a k-form different from a vector?

A k-form and a vector both represent quantities that vary at different points in space. However, a k-form is a multidimensional object that can be defined in any number of dimensions, while a vector is typically defined in three dimensions.

What is the purpose of a k-form?

K-forms are useful in describing and understanding geometric and physical phenomena, such as the curvature of a surface or the flow of a fluid. They also have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

Can you give an example of a k-form?

A common example of a k-form is a differential form, which is used to calculate integrals over a surface or volume in multivariable calculus. For instance, the area of a surface can be calculated using a 2-form, while the volume of a solid can be calculated using a 3-form.